Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing the CMOS battery

Replacing the CMOS battery

Hi everyone.
    I replaced the CMOS battery to one of my computers and now it won't boot up at all. Before I replaced it, when I would start up my machine, it would show the Emachine logo, then it would show the beginning boot up sequence really fast, then it would shut down at that point. I knew it was the battery because it would get past that a couple times. So I took the battery out, went to the store, and found one like it. I then put in the new battery, then pluged in my monitor, keyboard, and mouse then turned it on. When I turned it on, nothing at all came on. Am I missing something? Was I supposed to reset something and didn't? Anything would help. Thanks ahead of time.
    The only four things i need are food, water, a computer, and the internet.

BANNED
    What kind of motherboard is it?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Well...........

1. Get someone with a multimeter or battery tester to check that the battery is OK............you can actually buy a dud straight off the shelf

2. Is it exactly the same volts and amps as specified for your machine

3. Wipe the surfaces with alcohol and wear gloves or use tissue when inserting it.........make sure that it is firmly seated and that any retaining clips/springs are in place.

4. Sorry about this: is it THE RIGHT WAY UP (are you observing the correct polarity) Usually the flat bit with the number faces up.

5. I hope it wasn't one that you have to solder to the MoBo

Please keep us posted

Reset the CMOS data too by crossing the jumper for it. It might not auto-load the default values.

Ok. To what nihil said, I dont know if the battery is ok, I bought two so I'll try the other one. It is the exact same volts and amps as the one before it. It is inserted firmly and the right way up, I was paying real close attention to this. And it is not soldered on, thank god.

Now to what The3ntropy said, I haven't a clue how to reset the CMOS. I remember reading something about doing that, but it didn't say how to.
    Thanks.

Update: I don't think that it is the battery. I just replaced it with the other one and still nothing.

When you power up do you get any noise, any lights, any beeps from the machine? What does the monitor do?

Do you still have the old battery that you can try it with?

What make & model of machine is it, and about how old?

What is the version and supplier of the BIOS?

This does not sound like a simple battery problem to me

Cheers

Well, when I power it up, the fan for my video card and for the processor go on, and there is a little red LED light that turns on. When the computer is on before this problem, there were two light on the outside that were on, it was this big button (power button) that had a green light around it when it was powered on and then this little yellow light that was on whenever the computer was doing anything. Now the only light that is on is that yellow one, the green one won't even flicker. The monitor isn't even flickering or anything. I've pluged it into my video card and the original video port and nothing is happening with either of them. I tryed the old battery and it isn't working anymore. The make and model of the machine i guess would be an Emachine T2080. It is about 2 or 3 years old.

Oh yeah. There was a little sticker on the bottom of the case that had a diagram of the jumpers. One of them was for the CMOS. It said that 1 and 2 is Normal, and when in 2 and 3 is clear. I moved it to the clear then turned it on and nothing. Then I moved it back and still nothing.

Usually, CMOS battery issues can be assumed when the time on your computer mysteriously resets itself to the default time some time after you've disconnected the power cable.

[strike]So from your description, it wasn't the CMOS battery that was the problem. It could be your computer's PSU (Power Supply Unit) that has given out. It would explain why nothing powers on. And the failure after you replaced the battery could be purely concidental.

Have you upgraded things on your computer like the Video Card? Or added more Hard Drives?[/strike]

Can you check to make sure your power button connects to something on your computer? Maybe you disconnected it from the motherboard so it doesn't go where it is supposed to in order to turn the computer on?

That is strange, I would expect the monitor to show some kind of self-diagnostic or no connection message............try it without it being connected to the computer....

Cheers

I added a video card last December, but it still worked fine. As far as I can see, everything is still conndected. The only thing that I have touched is the battery and what the diagram says is the CMOS jumpers.

What do you mean nihil? I have done it without the monitor pluged in to. When ever I turn on the monitor by itself it says "no signal detected".