Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage ban passes

Dammit IF they are banning marriages on religouos grounds, I want to ban marrage between two protistants, its disgusting and agenst god.
    Darn it, if only we hadn't have had the Revolutionary War...Sorry Ballad...

Does that mean that, if he rains fire down on your town, the fact that you
    "don't believe in him" will make you fireproof?
    What's it matter? If you die in the fire, you get to paradise all the faster, so I think that more than makes up for the scorching. Eh, that's a separate discussion altogether anyway.

Let me explain my point of view. I believe in democracy. Even when its is unfair. These kind of "Law", that remove some rights of groups of citizens (yes, gay are citizens too) should be approved by a "direct vote" instead done by "representatives".
    Yeah, I could go with that. I'm not sure what the case is here, wether it was put up to a vote or done within state congress...I agree though, I'd prefer to have it before the people. Then again, I'd prefer to have every vote before the people...But perhaps I'm thinking a little too utopian.

Dammit IF they are banning marriages on religouos grounds, I want to ban marrage between two protistants, its disgusting and agenst god.
    Translation:

Damnit if they are banning marriages on religious grounds, I want to ban marriage between two protestants, its discusting and againts god.
    Are you really going to compare the marriage between 2 Hairy men to the marriage between a man and a woman who do not believe in god? Cmon...can we show some intelligence here please.

if rains fire in your town, i doubt that anyone (believers or not) will be fireproof..

Or if i am an "unbeliever" (what i am not) i wont believe in fire from sky, so it wont happen..

if faifth can do miracles, faifth in nothing can do too....
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Ah damn I was going to stay out of this one like that last few but some thoughts....

Could someone explain to me if that "ammendement" was voted by the "State Congress Guys" (have no idea how to say that in english) or it was approved by a "direct vote"?
    Those guys up in congress pretty much killed the thing before it ever got started. The amendment wasn't banning or preventing marriage of two people, it was going to make a provision that said the term "marriage" according to law will be between a man and a woman. It seems local and state courts are deciding our "democracy" for us because they are not following another law.

Another example for those who hate bush so much and events I saw with my own eyes..... Anyone recall the Marriage Defense Act? El Presidente CLINTON and congress signed that into law! It passed 342 to 67 in the House and 85 to 14 in the Senate. Considering the margin I would argue that a national election would produce the same results. Given a close vote, then one would assume the opposite. What is this act? The Act that placed a federal definition on marriage and its application to law, that is a UNION between a Man and a Woman and nothing else. So that was YEARS ago and a different administration. No one called Cinton a ****tard.

What Bush decided to do was take on the courts who are issuing their own madate over a federal act. He said, gee we need to put this in the constitution. And he's a ****tard for it.

If that is wrong then change it don't sneak in the back door and get little courts to go agaist democratic processes until an absolute last resort calls for it. That **** pisses me off and shouting hatred and nonsense on the TV, Radio, Internet and papers all the time attacking a majority... guess what that doesn't help your cause either. It places you in the same boat with the extremist Christian in my eyes. Dr. Marin Luther King Jr. is an example one may wish to follow. I don't give a rats ass what is in the bible, heck one could even argue it was not a literal meaning in regards to homosexuality. This is about DEMOCRACY and making changes to a fundamental society as appropriate and in good time. John Kerry voted against the Act, his stance on the amendment has been it's a "state issue" you see.

The critical line in the Act is where it reads that states do not have to recognize a marriage issued in another state. One could see where the constition could over ride that issue thus an amendment thought. The other critical line in the act is the definition of marriage. Wayyyy back in the Clinton time machine that definition was this "the opposite sex"

Why can't we have something like the "Love Union" or since most gays and lesbians tend toward paganistic attitude something like "A union of Earth" I don't get it....

\\EDIT oh and a rain of fire isn't coming because two woman or caressing one anothers naked and nubile bodies, he (god the almighty hammer) would have rained down on the holy mother church a lonnngggg time ago if that was the case.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Banned
    Greetings All:

I just LOVE how the Christian Holy Rollers will use quotes from the bible that condemn gays, and ignore other quotes just a couple of lines above it that state things like disobedient children should be stoned to death, or that slavery isn't necessarily a bad thing in all instances.

The fact that people still worship that ridiculous book with all of its contradictions and proven historical, factual, and scientific inaccuracies in this modern day and age absolutely amazes me.

I also LOVE how it's the same types of people in the same states that were against doing away with slavery, against doing away with segregation, against interracial marriages, that are now against gay marriages. They're using the ridiculous bible to justify their bigotry now, just like they did back then.

When are people going to wake up?

Here's the deal Jesus basically came to earth and said, that old testmentt about hatred and hell fire and death is crap. Am I wrong? At the same time forcing society changes that has nothing to do with race and doing so in anger outside of constitutional an democratic bounds doesn't wash either. You can't eridicate anyone's belief structure anymore than they can remove your own.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    RC:

Which god are you talking about..... There's actually quite a few in human history/theism.... If your god is omnipotent why doesn't he change things? He could, according to you... But he allows 9/11 to occur.... Because he's "testing you"....

I noticed that, even though you love to quote scripture, you were noticably absent from the recent conversation where I asked:-

Ok.... Here's one of my "biggies".... God is omnipotent, right? Satan was an archangel, right? Archangels aren't anywhere near as powerful as an omnipotent being, right? So why doesn't god just kick his ass and have done with it? It's either a FUD issue or god isn't omnipotent or, worse yet, god is like the cat playing with his mice..... he _likes_ to screw with them.... let's not mention dropping in the odd hurricane or volcano to really mess with their minds.... It doesn't make sense for a _benevolent_ supreme being to be simply messing with his creations like toys without any emotions.... Why, and I am asking that question, would he/she/it do that?
    I got an intelligent response from a believer..... Are you capable of the same? Quote the scripture if you like, but then be careful to back it up with the entire statement the authors of you scripture made in the instances you quote. If you can't come up with a section of the scripture that explains this "little anomoly" then please feel free to apply your own logic and intelligence and explain "WHY" to me..... I'm dying to hear it.... honestly...

Road:

You can't eridicate anyone's belief structure anymore than they can remove your own.
    Absolutely..... Because we are all stupid..... We do not yet have the information required to understand the concepts or principles that we face..... We will learn.... I have faith in that..... If we don't destroy ourselves in the meantime with petty arguments about who's supreme being is bigger than who's..... That's that path to destruction..... and it's based around religious belief..... religious belief in something that _no-one_ of _any_ religion can _prove_......

How stupid is that??????????????
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Which god are you talking about..... There's actually quite a few in human history/theism.... If your god is omnipotent why doesn't he change things? He could, according to you... But he allows 9/11 to occur.... Because he's "testing you"....
    I dunno. He doesn't ask for my advice.

The fact that people still worship that ridiculous book with all of its contradictions and proven historical, factual, and scientific inaccuracies in this modern day and age absolutely amazes me.
    me too, LOL

Anyway, if you don't like it, nobody's forcing you to read it.

Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.
    http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/k/kjv/k...1&byte=2453471

So what do you read, Kerouac? I'm sure he has something wise to say.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Custom User
    Are you really going to compare the marriage between 2 Hairy men to the marriage between a man and a woman who do not believe in god? Cmon...can we show some intelligence here please.
    Since you enjoy picking holes in people's arguments and picking up tiny inconsistencies, spelling, grammatical mistakes, etc. because you don't have a decent argument, I thought I would explain to you the error in the above statement. (and yes, my last sentence was not grammatically correct)

Protestant does not mean that someone does not believe in god, that would be athiest. A protestant is a christian who follows the form of the christian faith "created" by John Knox and modelled after Martin Luther's reform of the catholic church (or creation of the protestant faith, rather).

And "why do [I] care"? I care because you are being openly homophobic, and you've shown yourself to be rascist as well. That discusts me. I also care because I could not with good conscience allow your sick comments to lie unchallenged, possibly leading people to believe that everyone on this forum are religious fanatics who, hypocritically, rant on about wanting to rid the world of other religious fanatics.

In several PM's to me, you talked about Muslims forcing their faith on others (a load of crap), yet you do not see the irony in your statements in this thread. By making political judgements based on faith, you are forcing your religion on others, but in a much more subtly way.

http://history.hanover.edu/early/prot.html

ac

I care because you are being openly homophobic
    You are assuming that it is wrong to be homophobic. I, on the other
    hand, see nothing at all wrong with being homophobic. Isn't it really a
    matter of opinion?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.