Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to get a free efficient firewall?

HT: Can you give me what they found/discussed concerning Kerio Personal Firewall 4 (or if they did that at all, any instance of Kerio is good)? TIA.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by Spyder32
    HT: Can you give me what they found/discussed concerning Kerio Personal Firewall 4 (or if they did that at all, any instance of Kerio is good)? TIA.
    Hey Hey Spyder...

They didn't work with Kerio Personal Firewall 4... However they did check out the Network based Kerio WinRoute Firewall ($499 for 10 nodes)

It's the only Network-Based firewall that requires a proprietary client to do VPN... isn't quite as good on the application level as ISA or Symantec Enterprise Firewall.. but it beat Check Point VPN-1 Pro. It doesn't have an IDS or Alerts... Externally logs to Syslog...comes with McAfee AV and supports full logging... It will do Web and Spam filtering.. some URL/MIME type content filtering and supports a secondary link in case of failure.. It only allows a single IPSec passthrough, but several PPTP passthroughts... (all other network-based firewalls they profiled seem to come out fairly high compared to this one but when you compare the prices... CheckPoint - $21000 (unlimited users)... Kerio WinRoute - $499 for 10 Nodes... Microsoft ISA Server - $5999/processor (Enterprise) or $1499/processor (Standard).. Symantec Enterprise Firewall - $11.995 (unlimited nodes)... $2695 for 25 nodes)

If anyone wants the complete specs from any of these breakdowns.. let me know and I'll type it out..

Peace,
    HT

Ahh, thank you HTRegz. Yeah, I didn't think it would be as good as the Symantec product. That's kinda odd that it doesn't have an IDS yet the free personal version does. Heh, oh well..
    Space For Rent.. =]

I've been using CHX for a little while now, it's a little odd when it comes to the interface but works extremely well. Has NAT and remote management support on top of a rules based firewall that supports most protocols and even flag filtering on TCP. It's free for home use, corporate users need a license and all that fun stuff.

http://www.idrci.net/idrci_products.htm
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

Kerio, hands down. It's never failed me once, contains all the features I need in a firewall (and not all the OMFG web filterintg banner blocking email protecting baby feeding FEATURES(?) that should not be in a firewall).

Kerio, hands down. It's never failed me once, contains all the features I need in a firewall (and not all the OMFG web filterintg banner blocking email protecting baby feeding FEATURES(?) that should not be in a firewall).
    Roger that one, pooh sun tzu I love the built-in IDS and it's overall effectiveness. It has never failed me either and I doubt it will
    Space For Rent.. =]