Bandwidth use of another computer in LAN, possible?

Thread: Bandwidth use of another computer in LAN, possible?

Bandwidth use of another computer in LAN, possible?

I was just wondering, are there any neat tools that somehow can tell you how the use of bandwidth is in the LAN. (Scenario, 3 computers, internet shared -> router)
    You can run the tool on one computer and it may tell you the bandwidth use on the other computers.. This may be advanced, since the LAN is switched, as far as I know But, as I am just wondering, does anyone know about a "miracle" tool that can do this?

What operating system are you using?

Windows xp (home) with and without SP2.

check out MRTG the multi router traffic Grapher, I believe they have a port for windows.

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

Originally posted here by kr5kernel
    check out MRTG the multi router traffic Grapher, I believe they have a port for windows.

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/
    MRTG is snmp related and could be a large task to configure on an XP home machine.

XP Home has Performance Monitor in the "administrative tools" section of control
    panels.

In Perf Mon there is a network interface object that can tell you a ton of things about
    your bandwidth usage.

er0k
    yeah where is that nio at ss2chef? cant find it

Sorry folks...Thought I was at an XP Home and it turned out to be Pro..
    My apologies to the XP Home users..

Hmm, well, in NT you can run task manager on the server and it has a bandwidth option. I do this with my network I manage and can easily DoS the server with pings for the workstations... I used task managers network real time data flow charts to watch how much data it took to take my server offline in a test.

Shugart
    You call that a firewall !

Banned
    MRTG isn't all that tough to set up on an XP box. That's about all that will run once you do set it up. But it will allow you to graph the ports on a switch or router and that will give a reprsentation of the bandwidth that the other computers are using. There is some configuration involved to do that, but it can work.

Overkill. Na! We like killing flies with nukes. It's more fun.

I've setup MRTG on a W2k box, and it was pretty straightforward, except for the lack of RRDTool [for database] support as provided in Linux. Don't think it'd be any different in WinXP. However, there's another Windows Freeware clone of MRTG - PRTG at http://www.paessler.com/prtg . The instructor in the networks course lab uses it on WinXP for his router.

Scim
    _scimitar_