Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: win2000 security

c i dont think fat 32 has much to do with some one getting screen shots of your desktop remotly , ether there is a a torjan horse or a keylogger, c we also have win 98 syatems which work on fat 32 and are secure with fire walls .

if rapier57 is rite then all the fat 32 systems are in danger.

it is not a trojan, not a virus, not a keylogger. it is fat32.
    rapier57 was right. i formated my hdd's into ntfs and no more problems occured. thanx
    win98 should be very funny to hack and crack.
    btw. he didn't take screenshots of my pc. he screenshoted his desktop while browsing my files.
    for som\' **** from lithuania

if rapier57 is rite then all the fat 32 systems are in danger
    win98 should be very funny to hack and crack
    Well "yes" but you are both missing the point IMO. Windows 95/98/98SE and ME were designed as stand alone home operating systems. As they "come out of the box" there is virtually no security. For example you log in as administrator, ALL users have administrator rights by default.

The traditional solution was to buy third party software to provide additional security.

However, I would make the point that once you realise that there is very little default security, you can start to take steps to harden it. On the other hand, if you don't understand NT/Win2000/XP and the NTFS file system you are likely to be just as vulnerable.

Knowledge is the key

but i still don't get the point , what difference did it make to the person who was veiwing his computer. some win 2k boxes still run in fat they don;t seem to be in danger.

but the question still remains how did he get the screen shots ???

any answers

some win 2k boxes still run in fat they don;t seem to be in danger.
    Whats "seems" to be and what IS are two completely different things . As Rapier said, FAT32 doesn't have security built into it.

ard Qualified the information in one of his later posts................the screenshots were from the other guy's machine showing him looking at stuff on ard's machine. They were not screenshots of ard's machine itself.

nihil is right. win98 wasn't made for global networks... but i'm wondering what kind of commands should be send to victim's compeuter to gain access to it's hdd's? that "friend" told me that he scanned all pc's woth port scanner and tried to connect to open ports with some kind of DOS program. not all ports gives access to files but some of them can be used to steal internet or smth. i can't remember the name of that program, i wasn't in good condition then...
    any comment?

AOs Resident Troll
    If you are in the administrators group or the administrator of the machines (NT,2K,XP) local accounts you can connect to anymachine with the default admin shares C$

\\usermachinename\c$

as long as you are in the same domain\workgroup

which is a netbios connection (I think)

That is why it is so important to have strong admin accounts and not to have netbios exposed to the internet.

There was a virus\worm out that would enable the guest account and insert it into the admin group...easy to get access then

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

but there still is a bug in windows system if he could get admin right on my win2000 machine only with some kind of DOS program. Netbios was enabled, maybe that could give him access?

AOs Resident Troll
    If you get root in *nix...you can 0wN that machine too
    Same thing

its all about security,
    patches, AV etc

and strong admin passwords.

If Netbios was available to the internet......then you didnt patch properly or you already had been compromised in some way.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

ard, et al:

morganlefay gave the right command. It is really very simple. Without adequate security in the file system, the hard drive is wide open. With FAT32, unless you specifically deny access to the hard drive with some third party tool (firewall), your drive is wide open.

I estimate the life expectancy of any system (Win98, NT, Win2k, ...) running a FAT boot partition to be about 30 seconds. I may be optimistic.

Much as I have harrassed my co-workers about this, they didn't get it until one of our high profile boxes got owned. The reason? Set up with FAT32. OS? Didn't matter.

We have a tool called DeathDisk. This is what we use when systems misbehave.

The only thing worse is the fool down the hall who decides to share out his C: drive to the universe because he wants his girlfriend across town to copy a file from his hard drive.