Those Pesky invisible messages
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those Pesky invisible messages

********** |ceWriterguy

Those Pesky invisible messages

# You have 0 unread messages and 4 total messages in all your folders.

I have been through inbox, sent, and message tracking, traced everything back to the beginning, and deleted everything, yet those 4 messages still remain. Could anyone please enlighten me on what they are, and how to review/remove them? Thanks!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

er0k
    try deleting your cookies

Elite Hacker
    /me shrugs
    You didn't maybe add a folder or something? I wouldn't worry about it if you can't find them. It's not like it's hurting anything, although it is a little strange that it would say you you have 4 messages somewhere when you don't. I say make sure you didn't make a new folder, and if not, maybe someone here will look into it, but it shouldn't be a big deal if they don't. Good luck getting rid of the ghost messages.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Yep, no new folders. Trash and cookies all deleted Er0k, and they're still there. They've been there since the first day I signed up. No biggie as they're only taking up .8 percent of my allowed space here, but it's still annoying.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I had a similar issue back when JP ran the site, and he did some messy patch to *prevent* it. I managed to put PM's into unnamed folders that didn't exist and didn't show up anywhere. But I found a way to recover them.

How to remedy the issue:
    Make about 5 new folders for PM's. Check them until you find the "invisible" PM's. If that doesn't work, delete the folders, and make 15 of them. It should be in one of them. What happens after you make the folders is that it now has a name to show its contents...

...anyways, give it a shot. If that doesn't solve it...I don't know what else you could do...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    The other option is to PM mnstrgrl and she can look into it. It might be indicative of an unknown unique bug.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Its been that way for as long as I can remember...

If you logout and back in, they will be gone.

It will also reset itself after some time... but I'm not sure how much time... I want to say like a half hour or so... but I've never timed it.

http://www.antionline.com/member.php?s=&action=logout

That will reset your "new messages" and "new antipoints" after you've checked them...

A lot of people never log out... (myself included unless I'm on a shared PC).
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Elite Hacker
    he's talking about something different pp80.
    He has nothing in any folders in his pm stuff, and yet still there are 4 "ghost" messages.

ah... misunderstood...

mah bad
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ok, so far here's what's been done to no result -
    logged out/in. messages still there
    logged out, deleted cookies, logged in. messages still there
    created 5 new boxes, then deleted them. messages still there
    created 15 new boxes, then deleted them. messages still there.

I'm now going to eat my own head, then after swallowing my pride, pm mnstrgrl to see if she's got a fix or if I discovered something cool and unusual... I'll keep you posted.