Thread: Lost Nuclear Bomb Found Off Georgia Coast?

Lost Nuclear Bomb Found Off Georgia Coast?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/09/13/lost.bomb/

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/SciTe...er_040916.html

Please tell me the Coast Guard patrols this area once in a while....

Quotes from ABC:
    In 2001, the Air Force concluded it was in the public's best interest to leave the bomb in its resting place. Duke, however, would like to see it removed
    The location was only a mile offshore and in only 12 feet of water. Duke said the radiation levels here were from seven to 10 times higher than normal. Incidentally, he said, the location was "right where the pilot said they dropped it."
    Quote from CNN
    The 2001 investigation was in response to a request in August 2000 by Republican Rep. Jack Kingston, who represents the Georgia coastal area in Congress, to reopen the case and determine if the lost bomb posed a threat.

The Air Force report, released in April 2001, said it "concurs with expert conclusions that it is in the best interest of the public and the environment to leave the bomb in its resting place and [that it] remain categorized as irretrievably lost."

The report also estimated it would take as long as five years and cost $5 million to $11 million to recover the bomb.
    Al qaeda might not care if it was in the publics best interest to remove this... its under 12 feet of water and some mud. WTF would make you not want to remove it. (Besides the cost - which should be funded in this war on terror) Just the fact that radiation levels are 7 to 10 times higher there is a good cause to remove it. (Think of all that cancer)

Of course it does say that they did not want to take it out in 2001. (Which could of been before Sept 11th)

Edit: CNN Link which has more info added.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

This just doesn't make sense, there is a bomb in 12 feet of water and it will cost billions to remove it? Something is fishy...
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    This just doesn't make sense, there is a bomb in 12 feet of water and it will cost billions to remove it? Something is fishy...
    I think that they said millions not billions. I could easily see it costing millions to remove it. The CNN article did say that it could be 5-20 feet down under the mud as well.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

That was a typo I was actually thinking millions. I meant that it's fishy they wouldn't spend the money on it since it's in 12 feet of water and 15 feet of mud. They said in the CNN article they would investigate but here is the deal - it's been buried in the ocean for almost half a century. We've all seen ships that are all corroded and broken up on TV after being in the ocean. They are saying it's safer where it is as opposed to digging it up and risking an explosion. I think we would notice a huge ship parked a mile off shore for any period on time if Al Q decided they want it.... Still is the risk of Al Q or an explosion worth recovering it and setting of the nuke? I don't know for sure especially if the nuclear trigger is inactive. Some speculate it is active but you would think it would have triggered after that 7000 foot fall it had back in '58.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    As a diver I'll throw in a couple of thoughts that refer to the logistics of removal....

1. Radiation levels indicate that additional equipment be worn over and above normal protection.
    2. Mud means zero viz.... Zero vis is very disorienting.
    3. With the additional equipment and the mud simply arriving at the bottom will cause zero viz.
    4. Excavating it will cause a zero viz cloud for 100m all around the divers.
    5. If the excavation or the lift itself causes a fracture then the divers equipment would be insufficient to prevent contamination.

How much would you want to be paid to be on the recovery team..... there's no salary cap here....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I too am a diver.

In only 12 feet of water I doubt they would dive, they could build a perimeter and drain it then suck out all the mud.

What are diver's doing living in Michigan and Colorado.......?
    West of House

Regal Making Handler
    What are diver's doing living in Michigan and Colorado.......?
    Same as one who lives in Dorset i expect , I'm just closer to the sea. As for the fear of setting of an explosion, that does sound fishy.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry