Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P4 3.0GHZ reading as 2.0GHZ +Other problems

That sounds like a good move, particularly as the newer drive is probably faster?

More space around the drive will probably keep it cooler

In my experience XP doesnt worry about you removing hardware, it doesn't like you adding it.

Cheers

This is what I did so far: I reformated the 120GB HDD and installed XP pro in it. I made that primary master, and made the 20GB one Slave. I'm not worried about the heat factor, the box is cooled very well . I can boot on xp-Pro now, and I can still view all my files from the 20GB hdd so thats all good. Now, I'm still thinking of upgrading the bios.

Under system, it shows a P4 processor 3.0Ghz, but underneath that it says 2.0Ghz. I'm guessing it recognizes what processor it is, but its showing at what speed its actually running, so the multiplying is defenitely wrong. Hopefully the flashing of the bios unlocks it so I can change it. I won't be home until later on tonight, but so far Its all going good. Is there any problem with leaving it as 2.0GHZ?

Hi Cyber1d,

Sorry for the delay, I have been away for a few days. AFAIK there is no problem in running your processor at 2Ghz if you want.

There used to be an issue in the old days if you tried to use a much slower procesor than the MoBo supported, but I haven't heard of that recently (it was back in the days of PI/PIIs), and your clock/multiplier obviously supports that setting.

Good luck