Thread: bootable clone

bootable clone

I'd like to make a clone of my hard disk on an external HD, but I need to be able to boot from the clone.

Retrospect Express says it can't create a bootable clone. I have Norton Ghost, but couldn't find out if the clone would be bootable.
    So does anyone know if it would be, or if not, suggest an alternative program.
    Mama always said, keep your virus definitions up to date.

mac or windows?

version pls..
    juicy`peanut

windows xp.

Norton Systemworks 2003

I'd like to make a clone of my hard disk on an external HD, but I need to be able to boot from the clone.
    A clone of a HDD is different to an image of the hdd.. If the HDD is bootable of not is to do with the clone program BUT ..YOUR settings when you partition the HDD.. And the HDDwith the Clone will only be bootable If that drive is the Physical BOOT drive on the PC..BIOS Settings do this..

As for if you want a bootable image of the hdd.. I know Norton Ghost can create a bootable CD.. And I suspect you could (with a bit of fiddling) do the same on a HDD.. But this would be to enable you to restore the Imagae back to the original drive..

IS that the answer you were looking for?

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AO French Antique News Whore
    You cannot make a External USB Hard Drive Boot without special driver and tweak.

Is your External Disk USB?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

yes

i discovered it can be done, but my BIOS doesn't support it.