Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sp2, Yes Or No ?

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Cool Sp2, Yes Or No ?

[glowpurple][glowpurple]SP2, YES OR NO ?[/glowpurple][/glowpurple]

Hi there fellow members

I have SP1 with all neccesary updates. I play a few games online such as Americas Amry ops and other games through steam? I have downloaded sp2 but don't know whether to install it over my working sp1. Can anyone that has installed it give me some advice on how sp2 differs from sp1. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Cider

Banned
    Installing SP2 over SP1 is the only possible way to install SP2. As for differences between the two, SP1 was kernel security updates as is SP2. But as well as securtiy tweaks, SP2 comes with some new features (IE pop-up blocker, and a new 'security center', more Windows firewall options, and etc).

Summary: Much of it is changing behind the scenes files and trying to make XP more secure with a little bit of glitziness.

AOs Resident Troll
    The only issue I have had with SP2 on XP PRO was with an Acer Laptop...where the SP knocked out the printer driver and sound card.....although I have only done 2 XP updates to date (most machines are 2K)

I just had to reinstall them and it was all fixed.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Running SP2 on a Presario 2585 with no problems to date. The Windows firewall also reports when my AV (Avant!) needs to be updated which is nice.
    There wasn\'t any paper used here, but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

AO French Antique News Whore
    I done around 40 installation of XP 2.. I have found little problem. A few stupid application here and here that has bug... On my home computer, it broke nothing.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I've run the SP2 update on work and home. The home system (PIII 1.03, 1GB RAM) took the update well. My Symantec AV and firewall were not recognized immediately after the reboot, but they started their own updates right away and everything was fine. You will want to remember to turn off the built-in firewall(EDIT: if you are using a third party firewall). Then you want to go back out to the Microsoft site to check for updated drivers and such.

We are pushing the service pack down at work from our own SUS server. So we schedule and monitor the update. The default firewall configuration is our main problem. While Active Directory can be set to keep the local firewall open in the domain, that doesn't aways get to the updated machine. We then have to go to manually finish up the system.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Originally posted here by ;TT
    Installing SP2 over SP1 is the only possible way to install SP2.
    I'm pretty sure that is not true, as I seem to recall having installed SP2 without SP1 quite recently.

Banned
    Mm.. maybe not, but AFAIK when it came out, SP1 was a prerequisite, I'm trying to find some documentation of it but no luck. =\... have you tried and been successfull with SP2 w/o SP1?

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Yes. Just a few days ago on a clients computer.

Banned
    Cool then, I stand corrected. =)

[edit]
    Think I know why I thought one might need SP1 for SP2... because the RC's needed them I'm pretty sure.. but anyway, yeah, SP2 has all the files and updates SP1 had so no need for it.