Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adaware Scan Stops...

Thumbs up Thanks For The Comments...

and thoughts so far. I do appreciate it!

Posted by SecGod

Have you deleted any software recently; point being maybe you deleted a dll that is shared.
    Nope! I had actually considered that, good question though.

Posted by Maverick811

This may be way off the wall, but I would run a complete Scandisk on your hard drive. I've had some troubles in the past (admittedly not with AdAware) where a bad or corrupt spot on my hard disk would cause system scans (such as a virus scan) to hang up. Usually a Scandisk can fix the issue.

Thought is probably way off base, but it's just something else to try for ya..
    Hmmm... I think I'll give this a go. It's a distinct possibility. One thought though, doesn't Spybot look at DLL files? The Spybot scan completed, admittedly it was just a simple scan. I'll try a thorough scan with Spybot to see if it has the same problem. Then a scandisk & defrag. It'll have to wait till I get home though, so be patient waiting for me to post the results.

Posted by Relyt

Actually I did just read a post on a similar thread, at the Lavasoft site, that indicated that could be a possibility.
    Thanks for adding weight to that idea Relyt. You too Und3rtak3r!

EDIT
    When I get home I'll see if I've been authorised to post on the Lavasoft forums. If I can I'll post there and post a link in this thread, along with any updates.
    /EDIT
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

1) update adaware
    2) run you computer in failsafe mode
    3) start adaware and scan you computer / full system scan
    4) if it frized agane try cwsshredder and efter that repat step 3

you can also test you file with online antivirus and then try to do that agane

GoodLuck
    // too far away outside of limit

Question Hmmm No Offence MrBabis, but...

have you read the whole thread?

1) update adaware
    This is one of the first things I did! See my first post.

2) run you computer in failsafe mode.
    3) start adaware and scan you computer / full system scan
    I was doing this when I first encountered the problem. See my first post.

4) if it frized agane try cwsshredder and efter that repat step 3
    I've tried Spybot and then repeated Adaware scan. See this post. I just might try CWShredder after I've tried:

1) Thorough Spybot scan and repeated Adaware scan.

2) Scandisk and defrag.

3) Help from posting on the Lavasoft forums.

you can also test you file with online antivirus and then try to do that agane.
    Which file would that be? I know it's a DLL file but I haven't identified which one. Unfortunately, I failed my telepathy "A" Level.

GoodLuck
    Thanks, however, I believe luck=Labour Under Correct Knowledge, and that's what I'm looking for ... the correct knowledge.

As I typed earlier, no disrespect intended!

Simon, if the problem does center around some bad spots on your hard drive, it's possible that your scan via Spybot wasn't detailed enough to reach those parts on the hard drive or Spybot handles issues like that differently than how AdAware handles the same issue. It could be that Spybot is better able to recover when it encounters a similar problem. Since both Relyt and Undertaker have seemed to back up my corrupt hd idea, I'd definately run Scandisk or one of the utilites that Undertaker has mentioned on your hard drive.

Like I said, I knew that bad spots had cause me some trouble in the past with virus scans, but I had never encountered a problem with spyware scans..

Let us know..
    - Maverick

Better use Ad-Aware SE v 1.05
    http://files.lavasoft.us
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

Thumbs up You'd Be Right ...

Originally posted by Highlander

Better use Ad-Aware SE v 1.05
    http://files.lavasoft.us
    When I typed:

I know I thought, upgrade to personal SE! Nope! Same result, in safe mode or normal boot.
    in my original post I should have pointed out which version it was! I did actually upgrade Adaware SE Personal to 1.05.

Thanks for the thought any way Highlander, the latest version has cleared a lot of the bugs from 1.03 and 1.04, so it's a valid point!

Smile It's Sorted...

My thanks to Maverick811 for suggesting a full scandisk! I must extend my thanks to Relyt and Und3rtak3r for supporting Maverick811's suggestion.

Quick question for Und3rtak3r - I downloaded hddregenerator, although I haven't run it as yet (thought I'd try a scandisk first), and this appears to be an excellent tool! How do you rate this against say Spinright from GRC? I have been wondering about spinright for a while now. Not so sure, as Gibbson likes to blow smoke up his own arse, which I find off putting! lol

I ran scandisk from safe mode, interestingly my PC re-loaded to run scandisk as it needed exclusive access to some files. Any way, after scandisk had completed and my PC re-loaded into safe mode again, I ran a full Adaware scan. The scan was successful - wahey!

Would have posted this response sooner, however, I thought it wise to run a defrag as well. So my PC has been busy most of the night and was still defragging this morning when I set out for work.

I will provide more details later when I get home tonight. Thanks again for everyone's input!

EDIT
    Oops! Sorry! Just realised I've double posted. Should I have merged these two posts? I wanted to ensure the results in this post were prominent in this thread.
    /EDIT

Haven't used Spinrite..

Have been usiing HDDregen as a part of the Hirens Boot CD Suite.. very handy with FAT32 systems where scan disk could f**k the OS and data with a simple bad cluster.. and still useing Hdd regen with the NTFS systems.. even ext2/3 drives

only one drive has gone into the bin.. media surface failure.. seems the drive was being used while the system was subjected to a reasonable level of vibration..

I will use this prog before using the drive manufacturers tools to lock out sectors/clusters in 18mths no returns..

Great to see that things are looking up.. with that problem..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Re: It's Sorted...

Originally posted here by Simple Simon
    My thanks to Maverick811 for suggesting a full scandisk! I must extend my thanks to Relyt and Und3rtak3r for supporting Maverick811's suggestion.
    Not a problem, glad you got things working on your end.
    - Maverick