Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adaware Scan Stops...

Thumbs down Adaware Scan Stops...

I've started to experience a problem with Adaware scans. It first occurred when I was running Adaware 6 in safe mode. See attached file.

The scans always stop in the same place! I have searched the AntiOnline forums with no discernable result. I have run Adaware 6 in normal boot mode (logged in with the administrator account) and it stops at the same place.

I know I thought, upgrade to personal SE! Nope! Same result, in safe mode or normal boot.

Right then search the Adaware site. No joy! Okay then, search the Adaware forums...

Hmm! Some interesting stuff, seems other people are having the same problem. Follow advice given, including upgrading to 1.05 and running Adaware with command line switches....

"C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal\Ad-Aware.exe" +procnuke +cskip
    Still get the same result! Arrggghhh!
    Joined the Adaware forums, but not authorised to post yet, so can't post the Adaware log - Damn it!

So I thought I'd try here.

Anyone else experienced this?
    Any suggestions?

I'm running XP Pro with SP1 - fully updated apart from SP2 (not had time yet!)
    This is my home PC by the way.

EDIT
    Oops forgot to mention I have to use the cancel button twice after Adaware stops. The first press of <cancel> doesn't respond!
    /EDIT
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

Regal Making Handler
    Is this just with Adaware or does the same happen during any other cpu intensive scanning? AV/trojan etc. Undies had a problem similar a while back which turned out to be over heating cpu. Not easily diagnosed without physical examination of the heat sink fan and cpu.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

str34m3r
    I've had a lot of success with Spybot - Search & Destroy. Would you be willing to give it a try?

http://security.kolla.de/

Unhappy Anti-Virus Scan Runs fine...

Originally posted by jinxy

Is this just with Adaware or does the same happen during any other cpu intensive scanning? AV/trojan etc. Undies had a problem similar a while back which turned out to be over heating cpu. Not easily diagnosed without physical examination of the heat sink fan and cpu.
    I'm running NIS 2003 and this scans OK. I'm wondering if Adaware clashes with Norton some how? That typed I've only updated virus sigs and urls since the last Adaware scan.

Originally posted by str34m3r

I've had a lot of success with Spybot - Search & Destroy. Would you be willing to give it a try?
    Yes I will try that and let you know the results, however, I use Adaware in conjunction with SpyBot S & D, as I have found they compliment each other.

I did run Swatit (latest version) recently, before this problem occurred - am I clutching at straws here?

Simple Simon,

I had a similar scenario not to long ago and I found I had a couple of issues. First I had too many programs already running in the background and not enough memory to deal with the additional request so Adaware stopped. Second, I had a voltage problem with one of my box fans. It had a thermostat on it and at just about the same time I ran Adaware, the darn thing would kick on because of the extra load and everything froze after a short while. Additionally the file it would stop on was corrupt and I guess Adaware didn’t know what to do with it so it just stopped. It too was a .dll file.

For awhile there I was the poster child for 1-800-Call-Tech

There could be a multitude of reasons why it stops, overheating, software conflicts, or maybe even a new virus strain that does that very thing. I’ll look around and see if I can find anything else for you.

But just for giggles, Spybot S & D just to see if it stops there as well.

cheers

edit: doggon you guys are fast! I feel like a snail now!
    Connection refused, try again later.

Smile Spybot Works Fine ...

Did a basic scan with spybot, see attachment for results. So no "Giggles," there then Relyt

I removed the three items highlighted.

This is bugging me, but I need to go get some shut eye! lol

Have you deleted any software recently; point being maybe you deleted a dll that is shared
    There wasn\'t any paper used here, but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

This may be way off the wall, but I would run a complete Scandisk on your hard drive. I've had some troubles in the past (admittedly not with AdAware) where a bad or corrupt spot on my hard disk would cause system scans (such as a virus scan) to hang up. Usually a Scandisk can fix the issue.

Thought is probably way off base, but it's just something else to try for ya..
    - Maverick

Maverick811

Actually I did just read a post on a similar thread, at the Lavasoft site, that indicated that could be a possibility.

I ran into this problem recently with a harddrive that was developing bad sectors. Run a thorough scandisk including scanning the disk surface to see if it helps.
    cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

This may be way off the wall, but I would run a complete Scandisk on your hard drive. I've had some troubles in the past (admittedly not with AdAware) where a bad or corrupt spot on my hard disk would cause system scans (such as a virus scan) to hang up. Usually a Scandisk can fix the issue.
    The problem refered to that I had encountered was the machine would completly power down..

I have seen this problem .. in some the machine woulod completly lock, others the adaware or spybot would crash out.. Definatly bad sectors..
    in most I used a tool hddregenerator to recover the sectors.. in some of the others.. tools supplied by the hdd manufacturer to lock out the bad sectors.. and in a couple..New HDD..

But then a plausable answer has already been given....I better get on with my work..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr