After SysRestore
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After SysRestore

Efter SysRestore

Ouch.
    I got system restore to work but now I am unable to create Privileged user account
    All that I have left is just Administrator and Guest accounts that can be created.

I getting error message:

Could not find group name
    Any idieas about how to fix it?
    // too far away outside of limit

Ok!! What other registry settings that need repairing ..or have been deliberetly changed

OR

services that have been disabled that shouldn't be?

Or has the policy editor been played with?

If I remember from your other thread.. that the box a a virus or such.. what was it again? the virus name that is.. it may give us a clue as to whick part of War and PEace (meaning the Registry) you need to start looking..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I think that it can be something in register.

I tried to logon with names that I used for new accounts and them works but i cannot se them in userlist. I did it becouse when I tried to create account with same name I getting message that accout with this name exist alredy but I cannot it and delete it.
    (control userpasswords2)

=My OS=
    WinXP home with SP2 + patch

I am not sure that I fully understand the problem(s)

1. You now have two accounts: Administrator and Guest, you can see these and log into them?
    2. You cannot create another new account with administrator rights?
    3. You have accounts that you created previously, but cannot see them. However, you can log into them?

Can you create new restricted accounts and see them? Will they let you log into them?

Cheers

1. You now have two accounts: Administrator and Guest, you can see these and log into them?
    2. You cannot create another new account with administrator rights?
    3. You have accounts that you created previously, but cannot see them. However, you can log into them?

Can you create new restricted accounts and see them? Will they let you log into them?
    1. Yes + some hiden that i cannot se and remove them
    2. I can create accounts just with administrator rights and guest rights, but not more without getting error messages that says that I cannot do that
    3. Yes
    ---------------------
    I getting error messages when I creating them and I cannot se them in userlist

Hmmm,

What was the name of the virus you had?

It sounds very much as if your system restore did not work properly, I would suggest that you run it again.

XP will create a "Guest" and an "Administrator" account by default. You are then permitted to create further users with either Administrator (super user) or "Limited" rights. It looks as if this mechanism is damaged/corrupted almost as if it were an access path problem.

If you can remember one of the old accounts that had Administrator rights, you might try logging into that and see if you can use that account to find the others and create new accounts.

I still feel that you are going to have to try restore again.

Good luck

two words..
    Safe Mode
    Check what you have in safe mode..

You have done a repair install? right?

edit> darn... I shouldn't be posting and watching tv.. .. you've beat me to it again johnno..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Yes I did it twice now with no result. I need some info about where accout names is or what can do that thay become hiden and answer about why I getting error when I creating account with restricted right except guest and I am using Admin accout now. I alwas creatin one more admin accout on computer with password.

I tried in safemode too with no result

Hi,

1. Do any of the old accounts that you cannot see have administrator rights? If so, logon as one of them and try to create a new user account. If not, log into one of the limited accounts, change the password, reboot, login as administrator and see if it has "appeared"

I need some info about where accout names is or what can do that thay become hiden
    I think that they are in the "SAM" file, but that won't help you, as the account creation mechanism seems to be broken, and not repairable?

3. Unfortunately, it looks like you will have to reformat and re-install. Save anything you need and install a firewall BEFORE going on the net to get the patches.

Good luck

EDIT: I have a quick look on google and the Microsoft Technical Support Site, and couldn't find anything similar...........I am afraid it looks like one of those freak corruptions.

Question Can I Add ...

when you get back to normal running, it may be wise to take regular backups of your registry.

Here is how!

Is this too short a post?
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!