Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Determining Version of Windows

Question Determining Version of Windows

As some of you already know, I'm having to do some digging to reconcile a problem we have with our MS licenses -- Namely, I think we have more Windows installed on machines than we have legal licenses for. Ah, the joys of people copying cds.

So, I'm going from machine to machine determining each version of Windows 2000 we have and the the product key. On our client machines, that's easy -- To find the version, I just go through Start --> Program Files --> Accessoires --> System Tools --> System Information.

However, I find that on at least one of our servers, this feature is missing (haven't examined the others yet). But I need to find out which machines are Windows 2000 Server and which are Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

So, where else can I go to see this? Is it in the registry somewhere? And if so, is there also a similar entry for Office?

ctrl+****+esc
    task manager
    about menu

nt explorer has the same menu
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I use AIDA32 to audit my systems at login.... It's off the market, (it was freeware), but you can d/l it from here.

Create a public folder on the server with read only rights for domain users and unzip the files into there. Then create a write only folder in the same place so the users can dump their files there. Then add the following to the login script.

' Carry out inventory check using Aida32
    '***************************************
    Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set objExecObject1 = objShell.Exec("cmd /c X:\aida32\AIDA32 /R x:\aida32reports\$HOSTNAME /CSV /AUDIT /SILENT /SAFE")

Then every time someone logs into a computer, including servers, the machine is audited to an incredible level of detail in a matter of seconds and the report is dumpped into the aida32reports folder. If you then open aida32 on your machine and drag and drop all the reports onto it it will run a complete inventory for you..... Sweet
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO French Antique News Whore
    Aida32 Rock! Sadly, it's been baught by Lavalys and rename Everest. It's not free anymore!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    It still works just fine as long as you aren't shipping in new MB's etc. every day. And the OS stuff works just fine on XP pro.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    ctrl+**** +esc
    Damn; thats a button thats well over due

Got this one though:
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    Damn; thats a button thats well over due

Got this one though:

foreign languages can be tricky. just missed one h...

i wanna thak keyboard...
    Meu sítio

I keep forgetting about Aida...I hadn't played with it much, but now that I am....ooooooh...what glorious goodness this is!

Ok, so I'm looking at the report on the OS, and I see this:

Licensed Processors 8
    What's that mean? Does that mean I can use the CD that installation came from to install it on 7 additional machines?

quote:
    Licensed Processors 8
    ??? windows 2000 data center? it cant be.
    Meu sítio

Ah man, got my hopes up...That would've made my job SO much easier.