hi all,

a friend of mine needed a tool to lock certain folders because someone needed to borrow his notebook.

after a bit of googling i've came up with this program:
Everstrike's Lock folder XP 3.4
Lock Folder XP is a new security tool that lets you lock your files, folders and drives with your personal password. Locking folders, files and drives also effectively protects you from malicious programs, such as viruses, worms and trojans. Locking your files, folders and drives is the best way to guarantee that nobody, whether accidentally or intentionally, gets access to your financial, health, private or confidential information. And since locking your files, folders or drives makes them invisible, they can not be deleted, damaged or harmed in any other ways. We also advise that you get Lock Folder XP if you have a laptop and travel frequently. After all, if your notebook gets lost or stolen, you don't want strangers to see your financial data, credit card or social security numbers.
so he downloaded it and installed it with a password. The idea behind the program is that it encrypts the folders with a (by the american government approved) encryption scheme.
i believe this is true (haven't tested it), but i still wanted to find out how safe it is

here's what i did:

( i've obtained the admin password) and logged in as admin. now when you try to open the encrypted folder --> "access denied!". so far so good.

then i launched the taskmgr and killed all processes not original windows.
then i ran services.msc and did the same.

then i fired up regedit.exe and searched for the string "everstrike", after a couple of presses on F3, i came to the string where all data is stored for this program.
one of those things is a DWORD value "password" which i think stored the password in an md5 hash. (this is nice to crack ).

but in the same key i've found some strings with values 1 and 2, these were for booting up the program. so i changed those values to 0, and rebooted the computer.

now when it is logged in again i have full access to those folders again!!!

nice program!. but i wouldn't ever use it!

http://www.everstrike.com/

i haven't contacted the authors because i believe this is done on purpose while coding it ( perhaps a backdoor for them?).

i also haven't show you the exact keys because i don't want some lame kid using this info to get to encrypted folders without even knowing what they exactly do

but i think most of you will have enough knowledge of windows to know how to do this...

[edit] ps, this all took me about 6 minutes after starting[/edit]
kind regards,

Scorpius