Thread: com ports identifications

com ports identifications

Can anyone say me how 'd you identify comports like

COM1, COM2, COM3 AND COM4

by looking at the back of your PC. Is there any standerd way? I know it's silly but I don't know. can anyone help me pls?

No, not really, it depends on your motherboard and setup.

Typically Com1 & 2 are serial (9pin) ports (they may be numbered)
    Com3 is usually an internal modem (I have also seen Com4)
    LPT1 is the parallel printer port

I do not believe that there is a "standard" as such

Cheers

Thanks for the help nihil.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Now I'm working from memory here, so this may be wrong, and I'm a bit too lazy to pull the box out from it's hole and look to make sure... but Com 1 is serial 9 pin and has the pins exposed - to plug in your female plugged mouse to. Com 2 is serial 9 pin and is the inverse - it's a female connection... I think that's right, but I could be mistaken. Com 3 and 4 are internal, as nihil said. Lpt1 that wonderful parallel connection to your printer - there used to be (might still be in some boxes but it's not on mine) an Lpt2 which was (also) the inverse - same setup as I've described com1 and 2 to be here.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

|3lack|ce

I can't say that I have ever seen a female 9 pin connector. Certainly not on pentium machines. Twin males or single males on more modern boxes.

********** |ceWriterguy
    You're probably right Nihil - as I said in the previous post it was working from memory, and suffering from terminal CRS kinda makes my memory shaky as hell. There was such a thing, once though, I promise.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!