Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graphics Cards and the joy of replacement

Hi Undies,

Question: didn't some of the Celerons report as PII's.. in some progs.. and in around the >800Mhz didn't the cels also have a 100 FSB? or am I getting confused..
    I believe that you are right, I have seen Celerons and Durons reported as PIIs, and I think the Celeron was 100 FSB, the Duron certainly is (was up to 1.3MHz anyway)

Looking at the spec, it seems that model only shipped with a PIII and that it has a 133 FSB which makes the PC 100 memory strange to me This is what HP say:

Worldwide introduction date:

December 31, 2000: U.S. and Canada (includes Quebec)

Model number:
    P2940A

Base processor and speed:

Intel Pentium III (R) 933 MHz processor

Socket 370

FSB 133 MHz

Chipset:

Intel 810E

Motherboard manufacturer:

ASUS

RAM (standard)

128 megabytes (MB) PC 100

Maximum

512 MB (2 x 256 MB DIMM)

Speed

100 MHz synchronous

Sockets

Two 168-pin DIMMs

Size

32, 64, 128, and 256 MB DIMMs

Free DIMM socket

Pairs Required

No

Type Supported

SDRAM, 100 MHz,

Intel PC SDRAM unbuffered DIMM specification,

revision 1.0 compliant

Most strange?

EDIT:

I have just checked out Crucial's site and it will support PC133/CL3 memory as well. This would be a better idea as it is substantially cheaper than the older memory. I know that quite a few machines will run quite happily with PC133, but as their FSB is only 100 you don't gain anything. This box has a 133 FSB so it might be expected to work?

I would also recommend checking the HP site for a BIOS upgrade. That could help with a faster video card and memory.

Blast From the Past
    hey copywrite..how did u get unreal tourny to run on an 800 celeron!?
    i have a 2.6 celeron and the thing barely plays solitar hahaha

and i do love my nvidia card
    gforce mx 440se *i think thats right*
    dual monitor support and 64ddr

it does jsut fine and when you use linux with it the card does even better *imagin that*
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

AO French Antique News Whore
    Originally posted here by ©opy®ight
    umm....
    No games after 2002 ? I play UT2004 with a damn geFrce 2, doesnt lag, believe me he'll play

my computer is
    Celeron 800 Mhz
    60 GB HDD
    20 GB HDD
    382 RAM
    geForce2 MX 64 MB
    Not bad... But I'm thinking into futur here... Doom 3, Half-Life 2 on a PCI video Card? It can be done but in my point of view, the ratio of performance for the prices suck bad. Buying a brand new computer would cost around 1000$ (Check out the Dell Dimension 8400 : P4 3 Ghz, 1 Go of DRR2, 160 GB SATA Hard Drive, Ati Radeon X300 SE or X800Se for 180$ more). This is true power for 3 years without any doubt to play the lastest game like Doom 3 and HF2.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Thank you all!
    (And hex, it is a pIII, my bad typing)

I am not worried about power supply, One of the two upgrades was a 250 watt supply, the other a single stick of pc133 memory, 256 RAM. Other then that, and a very few software tweaks, it is factory original. I did get the thing 4 years ago, and it has been good to me, dispite the crap I put it through. Quite frankly I can't play the Sims 2 on it as it is.

I can only get a PCI card, but adding some more RAM should help. I forget who mentioned it, but a BIOS upgrade is needed, I just don't have the 'net at home to do this. Ideally I would go for a new comp, but alas, my broke college student status rules that out..

I think I am going to go with a GeForce card... It looks like it will do the job and not cost me a bundle.

And thanks again, all of you!
    Civilization is defined as the presence of cats.
    Not everything is flushable. Trust me.

Blast From the Past
    glad we could help
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger