Thread: What do employers look for when hiring

What do employers look for when hiring

I would like to get started on meeting the requirements to get hired at a computer company. What do most businesses require someone to have before being able to apply for a position. Certain degrees, certifications, classes, ect. Also what would be the best avenue to get these requirements done. I am in the service so its hard to go in house and get classes done, so if there were any popular online courses that deal with anything computer, preferbly computer security ...that would be great. If anyone has any advice in what to do or maybe any specific jobs that I should target for.. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

you should check monster.com for the info that your seeking.

i am guessing that being able to prove your skills in many catagories such as:
    Secureing a PC
    Fixing problems
    how well you no you hardware
    weather or not you have ever built your own PC... ETC.
    well certifications maby A+ or microsoft certified is a great one or intelligance awards anyhting revolving towards computer intelligance...
    and a great resume for your apply to the job...
    and you no the usual ASS KISSING...lol

clean Face
    clean hands
    clean undies..

fail that you don't even get your resume in the door..

look like your asleep during the interview.. forget a second interview.. (eye contact, look alert, look interested)

if you blow that.. it don't matter how qualified you are.. or how good you are at ass kissing..

.. forget being a yes man.. but don't be a smart arse (know it all)

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

er0k

Re: What do employers look for when hiring

Originally posted here by acdspit00
    I would like to get started on meeting the requirements to get hired at a computer company. What do most businesses require someone to have before being able to apply for a position. Certain degrees, certifications, classes, ect. Also what would be the best avenue to get these requirements done. I am in the service so its hard to go in house and get classes done, so if there were any popular online courses that deal with anything computer, preferbly computer security ...that would be great. If anyone has any advice in what to do or maybe any specific jobs that I should target for.. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    cisco, i believe, has a great online program in which you can get your A+, Net+, CCNA, etc..

Classes, certifications, and training should be a compliment to experience not the replacement.
    Many people these days try to take the short road and pass a few tests and demand
    insane salaries to offset the cost of the overpriced crash course bootcamp bullcrap test they pass.
    Yea, it works for some people but not for my companies dollar.

Be willing to start at the bottom, you may not have to but be willing.

Experience is key
    Experience is key
    Experience is key

I interview and hire for compsec related positions often. To be honest, I don't care about
    the home LAN/LAB you "sys admin". I need problem solvers that are able to make decisions
    without regret. If the outcome is negative, being able to adapt, rework a problem, and move on
    is very important. This means exposure to problems the HOME network just can't simulate.

The timid guy who loves computers but needs constant hand holding and pats on the back will cost too much in the end. Don't be this guy..

acdspit00:
    What is your knowledge level now? What experience do you have?

you need a good resume, very clear, stating what you KNOW and what is your EXPERIENCE. Companies use to read the resume and select some guys from interview from there -- too many candidates nowadays.
    if you pass that test (phase) and you are called for an interview, undertaker game some advices to you should read carefully again, again, again. Ive interviewed dozens of ppl and a bunch of them lost the job that i was offering on Interview, despiting having a very good resume. You behavior must be assertive and show confidence. As undertaken stated, nobody wants a smart ass as a employee

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    clean Face
    clean hands
    clean undies..

fail that you don't even get your resume in the door..

look like your asleep during the interview.. forget a second interview.. (eye contact, look alert, look interested)

if you blow that.. it don't matter how qualified you are.. or how good you are at ass kissing..

.. forget being a yes man.. but don't be a smart arse (know it all)

Cheers
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

For technical interviews.. don't BS.. If you get asked a question that you know you don't know the answer to, tell the interviewer that you don't know and then offer some of the resources that you might use to try and find the answer... I will almost always fail someone on a technical interview if I ask them a question and they give me the wrong answer and try to play it off like it is the right answer.. I have no problems with a simple, I don't know.

Sometimes you can tell if somebody knows the answer, but they don't get it totally right, and that is ok. But I interviewed an MCSE several years ago and asked them how you would remove a trust in a Windows NT4.0 domain.. I think they answered domain manager or something weird like that..

You are in the service, my question I have for you is do you have security clearance, and which ones do you have? I live near many defense contractors, having top secret security clearance is like gold in terms of getting a job. If you have security clearance, do your best to maintain that level or even increase your level. Whatever experience you have in the IT field will be heavily augmented by your having security clearance. That alone will put you above many other candidates as far as getting a job.