freebsd installation help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: freebsd installation help

Banned

freebsd installation help

In my ol(64MB+pIII) machine ( ol that's why i choosed freebsd on AO seniors advice) I did successfully installed win2k but when I am installing freebsd, on the standerd installation it says

**No disks found! Please verify your disk controller is being properly probed at boot time.**

damn it, how can i install win2k at the same machine when(if) there is no disk ???
    Share on Google+

BANNED
    3.16. I booted from my ATAPI CDROM, but the install program says no CDROM is found. Where did it go?

The usual cause of this problem is a mis-configured CDROM drive. Many PCs now ship with the CDROM as the slave device on the secondary IDE controller, with no master device on that controller. This is illegal according to the ATAPI specification, but Windows plays fast and loose with the specification, and the BIOS ignores it when booting. This is why the BIOS was able to see the CDROM to boot from it, but why FreeBSD cannot see it to complete the install.

Reconfigure your system so that the CDROM is either the master device on the IDE controller it is attached to, or make sure that it is the slave on an IDE controller that also has a master device.
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...-INSTALL-CDROM

Who ever told you to use FreeBSD after reading your posts in that thread is a loon. If your not into reading to figure out what you need to do your going to be lost.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...
    Share on Google+

Banned
    on the system info feature on win2k all i can see is

IDE-DVD ROM 16X

Manufacturer : Standerd DC-ROM drives

Ops! you have just edited. Damn ..i was giving info..anyways lemme check that link.
    Share on Google+

Banned
    Thanks muerto that could b true. I think the drive setting here is like HD on the Primary slave and CD rom is in secondary master. LOL it wasn't me anyway. I may need to make it primary master and slave

let's see
    Share on Google+

Who the heck would leave the Primary Master alone? Honestly, some computer manufacturers... And those short annoying IDE cables

Yeah... read a lot before going into BSD, otherwise I sense you will be joining a mental insititution early on in your life.
    /\\
    Share on Google+

Banned
    hypronix you don't need to be smarter than you think. I said it wasn't me. I bought that machine just to play around with *.nix stuffs. I know it shouldn't b like thaT. nOW i HAVE CORRECTED IT AND bsd IS ON the half way installing process.
    Share on Google+

The comment about the positioning of units on the IDE cables wasn't in anyway directed at you [in case for some odd reason you perceived it as such].

I don't need to be smarter than I think [I am]? So if I think I'm smarter than Einstein that's okay... maybe what you were trying to say is that I don't need to think I'm smarter than I am? It's awfully ironic you made a fool out of yourself trying to out-wit somebody else, don't you think?

In the end it's your choice and yours only what you start out with in the world of *nix stuff [or, start experimenting]. I recommended that you READ more because your problem was documented somewhere easily accessible. I had this discussion before and if pooh sees this post I know what he's gonna say [] But it will take you a million years to get everything working if you rely on a message board where people might not always be available to answer your question... whereas a simple Google query could land you a result pretty fast. That's not always the case, and for all the others you're more than welcome to come here and request assistance.

Anyway have fun with BSD.
    /\\
    Share on Google+

Banned
    Well.. I am not having fun. I am going with it anyway. I think you better learn to give advice that is focussed on the topic. No other non-sense i don't have time.
    Share on Google+

BANNED
    You don't have time??? You should choke on a large foreign object and die.

hypronix it wasn't even something he had to google for. If he would of just went to the install FAQ he would of found the answer.

And someone asked me to tell you that freeBSD isn't linux it's unix.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...
    Share on Google+

Heh, actually you're not aloud to call Free BSD UNIX Remember the lawsuit?

NP: KMFDM - WW3

Awesome AWESOME CD.
    Share on Google+