Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top AP earners Mods where is the dif??

Top AP earners Mods where is the dif??

Ok if people on the top ap earners list (myself inc) can close a thread (make it suicidal) with only a few meg assignments where is the point in mods?

any top ap eanrer (or high earner)n can target a thread and close it which aint really fair as it should be a community decision to close a thread not one person

so can we have it that even though neg points are assigned once you have assigened negs to a thread the person you assigenedd them to still recieves them but after first assignmanet they do not effect wether thread goes suicidal or not???

comments

v_Ln

a mod does a lot more than just closing threads tho so there is a point to them .. .however I see what you are saying .. i guess that is just one of the perks of being a high AP earner ....

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    hey, thats a very good idea.

However, what if the the AP's given to the thread starter affect that user aswell as the thread level. any AP's at the thread starters posts in other areas of that thread, does the same.

but if we give AP's to someones post that didnt start the thread, it would just afffect the user not the thread.

the drawback with this is quite often its not the thread startes posts that close a thread. so if that situation where 'other' users were posting bad posts and getting negged (but never closing the thread) - the mods would have to step in, but are they able to monitor closely as threads can change very rapidly in that status.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Old Fart
    Why not a "timer"...neg (or green) someone in a thread and you must wait x hours before you can assign points to someone else in that same thread.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Banned
    Greetings:

They system USE TO (and I assume still does?), require assignments from several different individuals before it will close a thread. So even if you as a high AP holder negged everyone in the thread, it would not close unless several other people negged users in it as well.

Why not a "timer"...neg (or green) someone in a thread and you must wait x hours before you can assign points to someone else in that same thread.
    i see where u are coming from - but sometimes people in thread may desefe neg/pos but i just dont think anyone other than admin/mods should have power to close threads on own

maybe should have a limit like no matter how many negs are assigned to a thread unless 4 people have assigned negs to thread it can't go suicidal like ok an example

these figures are complete outta head and no way resemble real figures

thread needs 300 negs to go suicidal

member A assigns 80points to members B,C,D,E - Thread goes suicidal hence closed by 1 person

in ideal world

Member A assigns 80 to B,C,D,E thread remains open but B.C.D.E each recieve negs
    Member F,G,H,I each assign 1(or more points) as thread is already over 300 thresehold does not matter how many points additional people assign is fact they have assigned negs result in thread being closed

this means that ye syou may need a big hitter to get points above threshgold 3+ other members need to support their decision in order for thread to close!

v_Ln

Greetings:

They system USE TO (and I assume still does?), require assignments from several different individuals before it will close a thread. So even if you as a high AP holder negged everyone in the thread, it would not close unless several other people negged users in it as well.

ahhh ok this may be a null point then - can someone confirm this is still case???

v_Ln

Ohhhh, you mean so we can all watch **** threads stay open because Neg and MsMittens, being human, do have to put the computer down to take a **** once in a while?

Self Moderation is just that, if someone who has that many points closes a thread, I think it's safe to say it's OK, the whole site "voted" them to that stage on AO with greenies. TAcess, and it was closed because he was being an ******* to people trying to help him. MsMittens opened it back up after being asked by someone in it.

I don't see a problem, I have, and I know for a fact you have, closed threads that really were crap and needed it, and it shouldn't be the burden to Neg and Mittens to have to watch over everyone here like school children, even though some, including me at times, require it.

I don't think I'm un-reasonable though, I generally do things for people if asked in a nice and respectful manner. Ask MsMittens or Neg, I've hidden posts because I was asked by them to, and a few things of this nature. I might push buttons but I also know when to shut up. Usually

JP: That's not the case anymore.

The reason that's not the case (AFAIK) is because I'm not a top AP earner (no where near it either) and I can close a thread as well. I think allen's timer idea is a good one. It's up to the admins/mods whether to implement it.
    Space For Rent.. =]

[offtopic]
    I might push buttons but I also know when to shut up. Usually
    rotflmao..

gore.. just be happy (and I remember how happy you were) to get your pumpkin back.

[/offtopic]