Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trojan Horse Attacks Mac OS X

Trojan Horse Attacks Mac OS X

I hadn't seen this here yet , but found it very interesting...

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125...w=wn_tophead_2

A Trojan horse, called MP3Concept or MP3Virus.gen, has been discovered that masquerades as an MP3 file.

And is if that wasn't interesting enough...

The Trojan appears to be an ordinary MP3 file. In fact, it will play music if launched from inside a digital jukebox like Apple's iTunes. The song plays and the Trojan isn't activated.

http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/Web...y?newsID=11960

Banned
    I've read a lot about this over the last 12 hours and it appears that Intego is essentially trying scare tactics to sell their software.
    thats even more interesting....

but no Trojans exist to go in it yet, so basically Mac OS X is still virus free.
    i dont know much abou Macs, is this really true ?

That trojan is an old myth, i even d/l the source for it, which was bogus, this was about a year and a half ago. Old news.

i dont know much abou Macs, is this really true ? [/B]
    I have had a Mac for about half a year now, and not once have i been infected. I believe its true. And even if a virus comes out, it won't take Apple long to come up with a cure, you can be sure of that. I just have to say it. Steve Jobs is god compared to Bill Gates
    Signature image is too tall!

What a joke. The reason there are no well known viruses/trojans/worms for MAC's is simple. No one would waste their time trying to infect a fraction of the machines connected to the Inet. What would it give you? Nothing.

BTW-I still have a powerMAC lying around here somewhere, I use it as my boat anchor or, when the boat's in drydock, I use it as a doorstop.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I can hear you aren't very fond of Mac. I don't understand why. About the security thing. I read about this contest, where a Mac server was set up. You could win 10k dollars if you were able to in any way break into it. A month was set off to do it, and tons of people tried. After a month, no one had even gotten close. So they raised the sum of money, and people tried harder. No one got in. Btw it had no firewall or any other kind of protection software.
    Signature image is too tall!

It has nothing to do with being fond of MAC or not, it's common sense. If you own a fraction of a percent of the market you aren't likely to get hit with much. Security through obscurity.

And one contest does not a secure system make.

I'm neither for or against any system based solely on the name. I personally find the architecture lacking and very little support as far as applications and hardware. It's great for an electronic cookbook or a glorified MP3 player, but that's about the extent, in my opinion.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Originally posted here by KorpDeath
    What a joke. The reason there are no well known viruses/trojans/worms for MAC's is simple. No one would waste their time trying to infect a fraction of the machines connected to the Inet. What would it give you? Nothing.

BTW-I still have a powerMAC lying around here somewhere, I use it as my boat anchor or, when the boat's in drydock, I use it as a doorstop.
    Couldn't agree more, and the same thing applies to some extent to linux systems, although in this case there are a number of experienced guys who do try and fix loopholes.

IMHO, it's going to get very interesting if, and when MS make their systems more secure, which they do seem to be on course to achieving.
    Only then will we get a good idea of which OS is more secure, and wait for the bad guys to completely screw MACs ....

The important thing to remember is that OSX is a proprietary OS, like Windows, whereas linux is not. Therefore you are relying on Apple to fix any problems that might occur, which they may not wish to fix, because of the cost involved.

Originally posted here by KorpDeath
    It has nothing to do with being fond of MAC or not, it's common sense. If you own a fraction of a percent of the market you aren't likely to get hit with much. Security through obscurity.

And one contest does not a secure system make.

I'm neither for or against any system based solely on the name. I personally find the architecture lacking and very little support as far as applications and hardware. It's great for an electronic cookbook or a glorified MP3 player, but that's about the extent, in my opinion.
    Mac's are superb systems (in my opinion).
    So they dont run the latest windows games who cares?
    Macs are great for the people who actually use their computer for WORK.

And yes there will be security issues with macs, but look at Windows, Netware, Linux, BSD, SCO Unix etc, they all have security issues.

The main point I have to make is that Macintoshs are rather well designed (if somewhat speciallised) business computers, and I am rather impressed by the ibook I have.

While the macs only make up 9% of the market share, they are actually used for quite a bit of work that "normal" (aka below average compared to Macs) computers can't handle. Will edit and post links to such sites and testimonials, etc. Not meaning to be offensive btw, but I think MS is good for nothing more than playing really good video games on it (X-Box anyone? great system for games. Man I hope we don't turn this into one big flame war).

But yes, I agree that trying to hack into a Mac is harder to do and there aren't as many out there (although you would have a quick offer from Apple for a job if you ever did. or a warrant if its bad. whatever).

EDIT: Aight heres one site.

http://www.philrussell.com/macfiles/whouses.html