Thread: Linux Kernel question

Linux Kernel question

Is it necessary to learn C/C++ to tweak or modify linux kernel? I went to LDP for learning abt kernel but way long and dunno how to start with the first command.

Can any1 give me handy info please.

If you are reasonably knowledgeable but don't have a good knowledge of C, it should be easy enough, certainly to apply patches, modify the config etc.

There is no need to know C++ because Linux is written in C.

There is mostly no need to know asm, because there is hardly any asm in the kernel.

I assume you are already experienced in building stock kernels - that is an obvious prerequisite for using modified ones.

Slarty

I am sorry i am not that experienced, need to go from basic.

You might wanna read these two tutorials..

Basic Kernel Configuration
    and
    Easy Kernel Update

they should give you some Idea about tweaking your kernel..

I am bussy with a LKM tutorial.. Explaining how to make a kernel module with C.
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

You should go and read the tutorials on how to compile your own (stock, unmodified) kernel from source, and achieve that correctly before you try modified ones.

It's also important to know how to switch kernels at boot time so you can go back to a working kernel if you create a nonbootable one (which WILL happen, trust me).

Slarty

If you really want to do a custom Kernel without learning much, you could always use Libranet Linux. It has a Terminal based Kernel Configuration tool in the admin tool set that allows you to just select some options, then hit done, and it compiles the new Kernel you just created.

Doubt it gets any easier than that.

Also, a lot of Distros have another way to play in the Kernel.

C++ is not a requirement, but knowing C.... Well I don't think you have to know it, I have made custom Kernels and I can't code an excuse.

Read up on the LDP on Kernels, and go from that, you just really don't need to code to change this. Unless of course you want to write your own, then yea. But changing the Kernel you use now doesn't require no damned coding knowledge.