AMD And Intel?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD And Intel?

AMD And Intel?

Hey,
    I was just wondering what is the difference between an AMD processor and an intel one? Also I was wondering about motherboards that can have 2 CPUs, and is it only for AMD? Because I havent came across one with 2CPUs used for intel.

Thanks,
    S3nate

Well,

1. Price is usually a consideration, particularly at the low to middle end (AMDs are cheaper)
    2. Until Intel brought out the prescott core, AMD were the egg frying champions of the world Not really a problem, just install adequate cooling fans and use silver thermal compound.
    3. Not sure how things are right now, but the Duron range were far better than Celerons for low end "workhorse" machines, in particular the 1.3GHz Duron that was top of the range for around 2 years!
    4. You can get dual processor boards for both Intel and AMD, but remember that Intel are more expensive. Also if your apps are not written to utilise dual processors the benefits may not be as good dollar value as more/faster RAM and a faster single processor, 10,000rpm HDD and a better video card.
    5. Intels are generally better at protecting themselves against heat damage, but this is probably not so important as a decent motherboard and BIOS will do that these days.

Hope that helps

Dual processor boards are available for Intel and AMD processors.

The Intel and AMD 32-bit CPUs are basically compatible - they run the same software - for example Windows (Win32).

The new generation of CPUs is the 64-bit AMD chips. These can also run 32-bit software like Win32, but to take full advantage of their potential you need a 64-bit operating system.

For Windows this means running Win64, which is not the same as Win32 (although it can run Win32 apps too).

Dual processors are likely to be more useful for scientific and commercial purposes than a home-user running simple apps and games (a few games can use dual processors though, maybe Doom3 does?)

Slarty

Thanks, Do you know where I would be able to find a motherboard for Dual Intel CPUS?

Check out local computer magazines, your local online stores if you want to buy...........

Otherwise visit the MoBo makers' sites...............Asus, Gigabyte etc.

Slarty and I cannot really help as we are in the UK

********** |ceWriterguy
    S3nate - check computer shopper catalog (it's too thick to call a magazine) for dual processor motherboards, or contact just about any computer shop - they can order you one but it'll be way more expensive. You might also try contacting intel directly, although I'm pretty sure they only deal with vendors, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

[Edit] by the way - if you're going to spend the dough to build a dual processor machine, go 64bit with the best quality processors/ram in the biggest amounts you can find - might as well have one that won't be obsolete a year from now. Vendors hear 'dual processor' and they start thinking 'server' - and the little $$$ wheels start spinning in their eyeballs.[/Edit]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Oh the hell with 64 bit. I'll take a dual Intel Xeon 3.06 GHz box with 4 GBs of ECC RAM over some AMD 64 crap any day.

It doesn't matter how fast your processor is if the RAM and MoBo can't keep up with it, so if you want speed, get a 10,000 RPM SCSI HD, a GOOD MotherBoard, FAST RAM, a very good Video card, something like an Nvidia GE Force FX (ATI blows) and don't get a crap fan either. Make sure everything is cooled properly.

Stay away from integrated hardware, it's crap. Get a Sound Blaster sound card, a good NIC if you use Cable or DSL, and no one at this place is going to make me believe a better Intel processor exists than the Xeon.

If you go for dual processors, actually use an OS that can utilize this. BeOS was great for this, but Windows.... Heh, not to good with it.

Old Fart
    Originally posted here by s3nate
    Thanks, Do you know where I would be able to find a motherboard for Dual Intel CPUS?
    www.pricewatch.com would be the place to start.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Short Answer:

Intel Pros:
    - Higher core clock means faster math processing
    - Hyperthreading gives it a pretty decent advantage in multitasking situations
    - Newer P4s will support EMT64 (Intel's AMD64 implementation)
    - Generally higher memory bandwidth, depending on the memory used.

AMD Pros:
    - Generally much cheaper than equivalently performing Intel processors
    - Lower memory latency, especially in the Athlon 64s, which feature an on-die memory controller
    - Generally better gaming performance
    - First to expand to AMD64 (x86-64), which will allow you to address >4GB of RAM without crappy workarounds, and are MUCH MUCH better in SMP (Multiple Processors) than Intel's Xeons.
    - AMD64 processors will also perform 64-bit mathematical operations in half the time a 32-bit processor would. This benefit is felt most in floating-point math.

I'm going to avoid going into detail about how wrong certain posters are, but suffice it to say, if you want Price:Performance, go AMD, if you want raw performance, not caring about price, go Intel. This may not remain true forever, but it is true now, and will be true for some time.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

I strongly suggest you do some research before deciding to go Dual Xeon processors. It isn't exactly cheap to get ahold of top of the line Xeons processors. And two of them at that...

Also, something of interest may be that Xeon CPU's share the same bus. This means their 533MHz FSB is split between the two processors. AMD's dual processor systmes have two seperate busses - one per processor. In the end, this means they are the same for bus bandwidth. Intel gets an upper hand with Dual Channel Memory - unless you go for AMD's Opteron processors and the right motherboard. But for the most part, even AMD's old pretty much discontinued Dual CPU rigs give Intel a run for performance. My computer which only cost like $650 to upgrade can match 3.2GHz Xeon processors in pretty much everything except SSE2 (which my processors don't support). Although AthlonXP-M modded into AthlonMP probably doesn't sound as cool as Dual Xeons...

Anyways, for a cheaper and still very powerful rig, consider AthlonMP systems. If you want to try that, I'll put up a list of what to get to make the process as painless, cheap, and powerful as possible. Although overclocking is required, and if you mess up your investment could go up in smoke... Not for the faint of heart, or someone who messes stuff up...