Thread: Power options on laptop

Power options on laptop

My girlfriend is away at college and recently told me how often her laptop hibernates after 3 minutes. I then told her to go into cp and power options to change this setting to a higher number or turn it off. She then tells me that everything is greyed out so you can't change anything and then she is prompted to use Toshiba options or something to that nature. She opens that up but it doesn't give her the option to change the time of the hibernate. Any ideas on why it won't let her change this in power options. She is using a year old Toshiba Satellite laptop with XP home. I have never seen this before so I was hoping somebody might have had this same problem. Since she is 3 hours away I haven't had a chance to see for myself I just have to take her word for it. Thanks

i think she is logged in as guest, or at least a guest account.. they don't have access to the power options.

I never thought about that, I will check with her and see. I don't think she has the guest account enabled but I could be wrong. Would this also be the case with a limited account setting? Thanks for the reply. Later

I'm not sure about tosihba laptops but some.. like dell.. have options in the bios setup for hibernation so check that too.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Toshiba laptop... I have one... They have a special program that overwrite Windows Power.

Ask her to check her start program and check anythinkg with the name "Toshiba Power", she'll be able to change her setting from there.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Toshiba laptop... I have one... They have a special program that overwrite Windows Power.

Ask her to check her start program and check anythinkg with the name "Toshiba Power", she'll be able to change her setting from there.
    ahh, i didn't knew this, although i should have, toshiba also has that strange way of getting into the bios..

as for the guest account, yes a limited account also has the same problem..

make she she is not limited access ACC or on guest as lepricaun said but then all CP options can be hidden or pass protected i i am almost positive that that can happen so... i guess ask her all these Q's and she should be good. i personnally am guessing she is on limited or guest ACC

Thanks guys for the replies. I talked to her on the phone and she is logged in as computer administrator, SDK do you mean by checking start program to use run > msconfig > startup and then uncheck anything related to toshiba power? She says that when she goes into the toshiba power management it doesn't give her the option of changing the hibernate. We also tried the bios but she said she wasn't given the option on any of the tabs/pages. She is coming home this weekend so I 'll get to see for myself what is going on. I will repost if I can't figure it out and get some more help from you guys. Thanks.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Check the Start Menu and System Tray
    -Simon \"SDK\"