Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: good antivirus

Or, direct to ClamAV's homepage.
    Here's another vote for it as well.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Originally posted here by allenb1963
    get avg at www.grisoft.com...it's good, it's free.

You would have been well served to have used AntiOnlie's search feature to get the answer to this question as it has been discussed countless times.
    This is an good antivirus, and the fact is that it is free.

I use the same.

Hi all,
    i was using Clamwin couple of months ado and notice that during the presence of this Av my system got infected by couple of rootkits (Hacker Defender), i was updating the clamwin's definition on regular basis. After that i installed Kaspesky and i m having good results after that. I suggest 'Kaspersky'. Currently i m testing 'AntiVir Personal Edition' (Its working fine till now).

Thanks
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Originally posted here by akshayakrsh
    seriously if u want a good anti-virus its avg as said above but if u want the anti-virus what i recommend is Panda antivirus Platinum version! this is the real thing! TRUST ME!!
    No my dear Indian Friend, Panda is not as good,

there are a some others out which are more powerfull than this one, more over do u use it budled with system mech or a separate one.

Well, sort of related:

1. I don't like Norton home product because:

(a) It is a resource hog
    (b) It tends to cause conflicts with other programs and promote system instability.

2. You need a good firewall, adware and spyware detectors. Most AVs are not good at detecting these, and are rather poor at detecting trojans. In the last test I read Norton and AVG were not good at trojan detection, McAfee was better and Kaspersky was one of the top players.

3. I have used PC-Cillin over the past few years with no problems, also McAfee, AVG, and e-Trust.

4. I would recommend RegistryProt from DiamondCS, and WinPatrol from BillP Studios as additional defence tools. They are free, and do not take up much resorce.

5. Also getting into the habit of periodically using an online scanner is not a bad idea. Panda Software and Trend Micro ("Housecall") I use them once a week.

6. Turn off java cacheing in your browser and the preview panel in your mail client.

7. Make sure to check your AV settings, as it doesn't matter how good it is in theory if it isn't switched on. I mean enable heuristic scanning, enable interactive (real time) scanning, scan all files, scan compressed files (.zip, .tar, .rar etc.).

8. Make sure that you update it!

Good luck

Re: good antivirus

Originally posted here by jr05linux
    I was wondering if anyone on here who is in to super anti virus programs could tell me what the best Program out right now is.
    I have had Mcafee and right now i have norton 03. And people keep making fun of me and say that is the worst but will never tell what they think the best is or what they got. so i was thinken they may have the same and are ashamed. well i am not ashamed i will just make the upgrade to the best as soon as i find out what it is these days.

thx ahead of time for all answers,
    Chris
    try these links:

Your desktop AV may be leaving you wide open to attack.
    http://infosecuritymag.techtarget.co...art803,00.html
    shortened: http://tinyurl.com/399ag

the report card is pretty handy as well:
    http://infosecuritymag.techtarget.co...art807,00.html
    shortened: http://tinyurl.com/yspoy

hope they work still!

it's from an article that appeared in info. sec. magazine a while ago. they A/B compared AV's.

we use Norton/Symantec AV. it's pretty good. but according to the article, there is a difference between AV vendors. Before that we used to use Command AV which crashed the OS *a lot*!!
    More cowbell! We need more cowbell!
    http://www.geocities.com/secure_lockdown/
    - - -
    \"Is the firewall there to protect you from the outside world or is it there to protect the outside world from *YOU*?\"

This is getting tiresome..

Howz about we do our own testing?

We will need to set a few guidelines..
    How effective is it against known current baddies
    How effective is it against known old nasties
    --- this would throw.. Virus (the real thing), trojans, worms, droppers and perhaps some dirty rotten parasite/spyware
    we need to rate them relitive to the task the box is being used for.. in some cases we only need to scan the email passing through..ie home file server, workstation, graphics workstaion, Gamerz dudez boxen..
    Rate on the the invasivness effects.. does the AV slow the crap out of the machine..
    Stability.. ie how often does a set config fail after install compared to before install of AV
    Also need to allow for effectiveness on other OS.. ie it is easy to compare WinXp boxens, but win98/me, but also *nix and Mac box's.. this is for AV's that do support..
    A subjective rating as well.. this based on ease of use.. looks .. the eye candy effect.. and feel..

I know I have written this on the spur of the moments.. and the task would be a biggun..and my comments are not very clear.. if you have positive/neg thoughts on this please PM .. don't reply in this thread.. I should start this in another thread.. I will see how my time goes..

to many of this type of thread.. and mainly subjective replies.. or the reply is from someone who has only ever used one AV prog.. never know the difference.. this isn't seciurity.. do proper testing.. compare results.. one machine test is not a firm ground to show results.. several tests, several machines.. known configuration,, similar setups.. do the bloody job right

/dismount/soapbox/hide/in/corner
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    This is getting tiresome..

Howz about we do our own testing?

We will need to set a few guidelines..
    How effective is it against known current baddies
    How effective is it against known old nasties
    --- this would throw.. Virus (the real thing), trojans, worms, droppers and perhaps some dirty rotten parasite/spyware
    we need to rate them relitive to the task the box is being used for.. in some cases we only need to scan the email passing through..ie home file server, workstation, graphics workstaion, Gamerz dudez boxen..
    Rate on the the invasivness effects.. does the AV slow the crap out of the machine..
    Stability.. ie how often does a set config fail after install compared to before install of AV
    Also need to allow for effectiveness on other OS.. ie it is easy to compare WinXp boxens, but win98/me, but also *nix and Mac box's.. this is for AV's that do support..
    A subjective rating as well.. this based on ease of use.. looks .. the eye candy effect.. and feel..

I know I have written this on the spur of the moments.. and the task would be a biggun..and my comments are not very clear.. if you have positive/neg thoughts on this please PM .. don't reply in this thread.. I should start this in another thread.. I will see how my time goes..

to many of this type of thread.. and mainly subjective replies.. or the reply is from someone who has only ever used one AV prog.. never know the difference.. this isn't seciurity.. do proper testing.. compare results.. one machine test is not a firm ground to show results.. several tests, several machines.. known configuration,, similar setups.. do the bloody job right

/dismount/soapbox/hide/in/corner
    great idea. i wish i had the time to experiment with every piece of s/w that gets released, unfortunetly i do the job of 3 IT guys.

regards,
    More cowbell! We need more cowbell!
    http://www.geocities.com/secure_lockdown/
    - - -
    \"Is the firewall there to protect you from the outside world or is it there to protect the outside world from *YOU*?\"

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Well, I must be a glutton for punishment because I use Norton 2003. Now, granted it's a resource hog but since install, I've had no virus/trojan infections to date. Prior to that, I was using Norton 2000 and again, no infections by virus/trojan to report. Let me clear something up before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I'm not saying this is hard evidence that Norton is perfect in any manner. First hand experience coupled with research at sites like this are what should help you make your decisions. There's alot of good AV's out there, you just have to decide which is more applicable to your needs.
    We could sit here and debate test results all day but I'll tell you this much, I would never just take someone's word for picking an AV for my pc. I would want to see consistently good results from various independent testing sites before I even began to choose a product. So, why did I pick Norton? I didn't. Norton 2000 came bundled with the system (yes, my system is 4 years old ) and the upgrade from 2000 to 2003 was all too easy once I decided to hand over my life savings to Symantec (I never said I wasn't a lazy bastard). But, if I had to go by the latest AV test results I've seen sofar, I still wouldn't see any immediate reason why Norton 2003 would be detrimental in any capacity to my system (well except the whole "resource hog" thing ).
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

yeah, ok, used avg antivirus free v. for a long time, it felt clunky, but ran fast, so i liked it. Suddenly, comp. slows down, begins crashing... downloaded avast! ran it, found viruses galore, stopped using avg, started using avast!, didn't like avast!, got norton 2004 trialware, now I can't get rid of THAT! So, planning on using clamwin from now on, looks great, lets hope it works the same. My point is... AVG is NOT a good free antivirus... if Avast! picks up more than AVG, seriously, dudes... Thats sad.

Yeah, anyways... A good firewall works great too, my Norton 2004 trialware expired 3 weeks ago, but with ZA pro up and running, haven't had a single virus...

haven't posted in awhile, better hop to it.

-Karvec

also: logged in here to see if there were any decent free avs... and if anyone knew how to get rid of norton av 2004 trialware after expired.

thanks!