Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: English -- Not your best language

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    moxnix, that's a great idea and quite considerate as well but, for the people who are fluent in english, a little exercise in patience nevers hurts either.
    In my personal opinion, at least half of the AO'ers that I've seen that don't use english as their first language have been fairly proficient in conveying their points/questions well enough that I can understand them most of the time.(which is more than I can say for myself, being I'm only fluent in caveman )
    Another thing to consider is this: The mind has an odd way of connecting together sentence structure even if the words are completely misspelled.
    I'm sure some of you have seen this before:
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe
    Basically, I think everyone needs to put a little effort into the equation to make it work.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Another thing to consider is this: The mind has an odd way of connecting together sentence structure even if the words are completely misspelled.
    that was funny. i didnt know that. i was able to read the quote even with those mistakes.

as a foreigner here and a bad english writter, im with shagdevil:

most of the problems that i had to read a post here come from ppl that use english as "first language", but loves to use slangs that are not "world available". I can deal with some slangs and/or expressions, but some are a pain... i cant find even on a "expression dictionary".

but this idea (general guide for 3rd world posters) should be stickied too.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Originally posted here by SwordFish_13
    Hi,

Yes there is a Button There That says "Spell Check" ................But the instresting question is does it work...............

A couple of months ago i tried clicking on it ............and came to know that it is not functioning anymore.

--Good Luck--
    It seems to have improved, it used to crash my browser now it just does nothing
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

There're many non-english speakers here. I'm one of them.
    Look at my nationality flag.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I'm closing the thead. The information here is good but no need to bring up a 2+ year old thread with "me too" comments.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage