Thread: fiberoptic modems

fiberoptic modems

hay whatsup AO

well yah incase you do not know i have got the worst internet possible in the state washington right now. It is nocharge dial free internet. it can run between 24kbps to 52kbps that is the best and worst i have been getting lately. i download stuff at 1-3 kbps if luck 4 but yha.

i was wondering if a fiber optic dialing modem would make this free net faster by a lot or little could not hurt any at all.
    i know that fiber optic e net and cable wires on a cable modem make that net faster so i was wondering if it will do the same for dial up.
    i have searched and searched to find out if that fiberoptic modem would make it faster but i can not ever find anything on it so i thought i might ask.

thx ahead of time fo all answers,
    chris

it can run between 224kbps to 52kbps
    If it runs 224 kb/s u can download 1 MB in 4-5 seconds.... now to the fiber optic MODEM ? i heard of fiber optic lines but never a fiber optic dial-up modem ? can u show me some picture and info on those modems, i did a quick search on google, cant seem to find fiber optic dial-up modems....
    O.G at A.O

lol. thx man i am fixen that right now lol

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Well I work with fiberoptic equipments for five years now, and this is a first. A fiber-optic DIAL_UP ?

Normal dial-up uses the analog technology, explaining the low rates you use know. After that you had ISDN ( 64k - 128k if dualchanneled ) because it used the digital base. after that came DSL and cable broadband.
    Fiber-optic IS a digital technology using binary values according a laser impulse being present or not, so dial-up would not even be possible here. Anyway it would that would be a waste of resources. Even if it existed it would mean you'd need your own fiber-optic pair to the nearest conversionpoint, mostly the telephone-switch-centres themselves, instead of the copper you're using now. Fiber-To-The-Home projects are rare in use already these days, so if you have fiber @ home get some serious bandwith for a , i believe, payable rate. If you don't have fiber @ home, my guess would be its not even possible.

Cheers
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Working in various schools, setting up networks and suchlike, we use CAT5 cables around the buildings, going back to various patch panels, and from each panel we run a fibre optic back to the 'master' panel in the server room.

The point being:
    Even in an enclosed area, the cost of fibre precludes its use everywhere in the setup.

Just accept that you will STILL have the worst dial up connection in AO. But you CAN save up for ADSL ...........
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Some communities in WA and ID have a community fiber ring or something setup. But their speeds are capped to be like 10KB/s I think... Not too sure about it myself...

In short, you won't find one. Phone lines are good 'ol copper. Fiber is...you guessed it...glass or plastic or something optical...

Also, clarification about cable. That is fiber to the curb IIRC. Only the cable box gets fiber. Everyone else gets copper. It is cheaper this way, and everyone is pretty happy.

One more thing to clear up. kbps is different from KB/s. Your downloads are 1 - 3 KB/s, not 1-3kbps. If it was 1-3kbps, I'm sure the modem would drop the connection. Your modem is connecting between 36kbps to 52kbps. 224kbps would download a 1MB file in about 36 seconds, not really considering the overhead in the protocols involved.

Just Another Geek
    1 KB/s (Kilo Bytes per second) = 8 Kb/s (Kilo bits per second)
    Bandwidth is usually measured in bps (bits per second).

There are no fibre optic modems. There's nothing to MOdulate/DEModulate.
    These things are called adapters. Just like your network adapter. But I doubt if you can get a cheap fibre optic connection.

Aren't there any xDSL (runs on regular copper phoneline) and/or Cable (runs on regular copper cable tv connection) providers in Washington?
    If you want more bandwidth, don't be stingy and shell out some cash
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.