reinstalling windows xp on a dell

Thread: reinstalling windows xp on a dell

reinstalling windows xp on a dell

i just reformattef my hard drive on my other computer went to computer>e drive>format then clicked yes and it erased everything i then took it out andput it back into my computer and started up it says >>>>>remove disks or other media press any key to restart<<<<<<<<<<<what is this and how do i reinstall the xp

Hey Hey,

It's telling you to remove the disks and other media as part of the program.... It's designed to do thise so you don't boot to a floppy/CD that has an invalid program, or something you don't want....i.e. the floppy/CD you used to format... It would be useless to boot off that again.

Installing XP... you have two choices since it's a Dell.

You could you use your Dell recovery CD and follow the steps.. or you could pull out an XP CD and use it.... just make sure that your BIOS boot order allows for booting off CD first... or that you can press a hotkey to access the Boot Devices and manuall select one... Then you'll be good to go..... It's fairly simply...

If you have a more precise or indepth question on installing XP... let us know and we'll give you a hand.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

okay more help

iside bios i have 4 boot device

1 [floppy]
    2 [armd-fdd]
    3 [ide-hdd]
    4 [adtapi cdrom]

how do i put these in order let me know

okay more info

there is no media in the computer no floopy cd anything and it is still saying this whats the dealo help

Hey Hey,

Sorry I thought you were getting the message at another point.. That message is occuring because you no longer have a bootable partition... so it can't find an OS to load.. It's a standard error message saying I can't find anything to boot from.. maybe I'm getting hung up on a floppy/CD remove whatever it is and reboot me....

Change your boot order to
    Floppy,
    CD
    HDD

and then insert your boot CD/Floppy and reboot.

Peace,
    HT
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

so what do i do about the partition problem i dont know what it is but i do know a guy who will format my hd for 5 bucks should i just do it like that

Hey Hey,

You don't do anything about the partition problem.. Boot off of your XP CD and start the install process it will take care of everything for you...

I wouldn't bother paying the guy... sounds like you've already formatted it.. now you just have to reinstall.

Peace.
    HT