Thread: Geting rid of GRUB

Angry Geting rid of GRUB

Hi Everyone!

I had double boot system on my laptop, XP and Fedora. After haveing some trouble with XP and doing some tampering with everything I completely desroyed everything that could be destroyed . I did lose some interesting info, but I don't realy care about it any more. The porblem appeared when I decided to reinstal the whole thing.

I used the Recovery CD I got with the laptop for the XP setup. But after doing that I found that GRUB wouldn't allow me to start XP. I made an install of Fedora for now, nut would prefer haveing my system on dual boot.

How can I get rid of that bl..y GRUB?
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

Hey Hey,

I'm going to assume that you simply installed GRUB to the MBR so grab a boot disk and run an fdisk /mbr. That should do the trick for ya.

Peace,
    HT

The problem is that I don't have a boot disk, and the recovery disk I got for my laptop refuses to format the hard drive.

I'm going to get XP disk only by next Friday. What could I do till then?
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

Banned
    http://bootdisk.com/ for boot disks.

And doesn't Fedora come with fdisk? I know Slack does as well several other distros.

You can download a bootdisk creation utility from: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    You should use one of the Win9x bootdisks, just boot and do fdisk /mbr as HTRegz mentioned.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Antionline Herpetologist
    I'm going to assume that you simply installed GRUB to the MBR so grab a boot disk and run an fdisk /mbr. That should do the trick for ya.
    NO!!! Do not do an fdisk /mbr from a floppy. It wipes ntldr as well as grub (whichever is installed to the mbr). Boot from an XP CD and go into the recovery console. Then, type fixboot and then fixmbr.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com