Thread: I need access to a unix host

Question I need access to a unix host

I need access to a unix host, but I have no account on it. I tried to telnet to "unix.csuchico.edu", but couldn't get on,due to the rlogin . Can someone who knows how, if anybody, tell me how to bypass this without a special software; some way around or through it... Thank you.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Do you have an account on this server? And why unsecure Telnet rather than SSH?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Are you a student or faculty at that specific school? If not... then you need to find another host.
    You can telnet to that server, but you need a logon. Which means that you need to be student or faculty.

There are several places that offer free shells. There was just a thread about it a couple days ago that had quite a few places to get shells for several different OSs.

If you are on broadband... why not just make your own? If you don't want to install a *nix system, then use a live bootable CDRom. Search for knoppix... however, there are several out there. I just like knoppix best.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Your post sounds very suspicious, so I would make sure we understand exactly what you want, otherwise... there will be a short drop and a quick stop for you here at AO.
    /\\

telnet to sdf.lonestar.org. At the prompt type "new" and you will be taken through the steps to make yourself an account. Hope this helps.

Jonesy

As MsM said, you should use SSH. Telnet sends the user name and password over the network in plain text.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Unhappy Confusion

Originally posted here by hypronix
    Your post sounds very suspicious, so I would make sure we understand exactly what you want, otherwise... there will be a short drop and a quick stop for you here at AO.
    What is suspicious? I apologize, my question does sound suspicious. I meant I was trying to get an acount on a unix system, as a part of my school work. From a list I was given of Unix servers on the internet, I didn't get very many. The search would give me results that asked me to pay for the account or by a unix OS...

Talking Grazie!

Originally posted here by Jonesy69
    telnet to sdf.lonestar.org. At the prompt type "new" and you will be taken through the steps to make yourself an account. Hope this helps.

Jonesy
    Thank you for your help, and for including the address. I got an account now. The search results I got on the internet gave me product advertisements.

Well, the reason for initial suspicion tends to be that shell access to a remote host is a way to be more quasi-anonymous than if you just tried to say, launch an email scam, spam, or some kind of hackng attempt from your own IP. You could check out the CD bootable linux distributions, although that isn't really a genetic unix, it is similar.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?