Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Congo scam

Banned

The Congo scam

Not really totally forensics-related (yet), so feel free to move it Hogfly... might turn into forensics, though

Just got an email similar to the Nigerian scam-emails.

Background: I just started my own business. I don't publicise my (business) email-address, I do advertize my business. I've never received any spam yet on my business email-address...

Here's the email I got:

Sir/Madam,

I am writing you this letter in confidence after receiving a confidential
    message from the family of my client and very close associate Col. Eddy
    Kapend who was the army spokesman and special aide to the late President
    Laurent-Desire Kabila of the Democratic Republic of Congo who ruled the
    country from May 1997 to January 2001. My cleint was identified as the ringleader
    and was sentenced to death by the current government administration in the
    Democratic Republic of Congo following his involvement in the assassination
    of the President Laurent-Desire Kabila on the 16th of January 2001.

My cleint Col. Eddy Kapend in association with the late President Laurent-Desire
    Kabila recovered
    millions of dollars from the former dictator Mobutu Sese Seko following
    rebellion against him by President Laurent-Desire Kabila and also making
    arrangements with the Swiss Government and other European countries to freeze
    all his accounts amounting into billions of dollars. They also engaged in
    the sales of copper and diamonds, which is the chief export of that country.

According to the message received from my client?s family and with the verifications
    made by me, my cleint deposited the sum of Forty Eight Million United States
    Dollars ($48M USD) with a Private Security Deposit Firm overseas for safekeeping.
    My cleint and his family have confided in me to look for a foreign partner
    that will help in putting the funds into the banking system and also to
    assist in investing the funds so that his family will not suffer while is
    he gone.

Since my cleint and his family have mandated me to look for a foriegn partner,
    that is my main reason for contacting. Please do not despair since I got
    your email from a business advertising website on the Internet before making
    my contact with you. I do not intend to fail my cleint because I have been
    a very close associate and legal consultant to my client, and also a close
    member of their family for almost fifteen years now before I relocated to
    Europe with my family.

I have made contacts with the Private Security Deposit Firm and also concluded
    final arrangements with them to take over the funds by a new beneficiary
    legally. I shall take care of all the legal aspects of this transaction
    and I can assure you that everything is 100% risk free. I desperately need
    your help. I will need you to contact the Security Deposit Firm on the behalf
    of my cleint; secure the funds after you must have been made the beneficiary
    and deposit the funds into a bank account for investing.

In consideration of your expenses during the course of this transaction,
    my client?s family has decided to give you 20% of the total funds after
    transfer and invest a reasonable amount into investments that we shall both
    manage for the family based on percentage and for mutual benefits.

In conclusion, if you are willing and ready to assist us recover my client?s
    funds, please indicate so in your return reply mail and I will put you into
    the picture of this transaction by emailing you with more details of this
    transaction and how it will be achieved.

Looking forward to your urgent and positive response.

Best Regards,

PETER Zentel

NOTE: Send your replies to; pzentela@yahoo.co.uk
    cleint/client (me!) receives 20%! Yay!

Here's the email header:

Return-path: <zentelpa@tiscali.ch>
    Envelope-to: my business email
    Delivery-date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:33:49 -0400
    Received: from [212.40.5.186] (helo=mx2.tiscali.ch)
    by server78.totalchoicehosting.com with esmtp (Exim 4.34)
    id 1CBiWb-0003W8-9i
    for my business email; Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:33:49 -0400
    Received: from [80.250.32.84] by mx2.tiscali.ch with HTTP; Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:24:30 +0200
    Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:24:30 -0700
    Message-ID: <40FB8B450002A225@mx2.tiscali.ch>
    Subject: CONFIDENTIAL MAIL
    Reply-To: zentelpa@yahoo.co.uk
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    A UK reply-address, a Swiss (ch = Confederatico Helvetica or something... that's Switzerland) email address...

And then this:
    Please do not despair since I got
    your email from a business advertising website on the Internet before making
    my contact with you
    That's indeed pretty much the only place you could get that email address from...

I'm replying right now...

Computer Forensics
    starting from switzerland..that's a new one, although I seem to see more and more from switzerland each day...and to think they are neutral.

submit that email here neg: http://www.antiphishing.org/
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Nasty.....targeted to small buisness owners, who after starting a buisness could always use a cash infusion to help them along.

You are planning on scamming the scammers, I would hope. At least give them enough rope to really hang themselves.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Banned
    I reported this to antiphishing.org (haven't heard back), and I got another email from my "friend"...
    So all I have to do is fly to Spain... heh. I replied back, of course

ATTN: My name

I want to thank you very much for your prompt response and the willingness to assist us in transferring the funds in question. What I require from you in this transaction is maximum cooperation through its duration. As you already know, I am presently making final negotiations with the Private Security Deposit Firm in London to affect changes on the beneficiary name and to transfer the funds. So, there is need for us to commence at once. Most importantly, due to the sensitive nature of this transaction and for the safety of my client’s family, we must at all times and at every situation treat this transaction with a very high level of confidentiality.

SOURCE OF FUNDS: My client generated the funds in question from the legal sales of copper and diamonds even though he recovered millions of dollars with President Laurent-Desire Kabila from former dictator Mobutu Sese Seko. The funds he made from the sales were deposited in cash with a Private Security Deposit Firm in London for future investments. Therefore this transaction is 100% risk free. Please note that it is only my client and his family that has knowledge of this transaction and has the entire information, it is not normal for him to lay claims now that the incumbent government has sentenced him to death in connection with the assassination of President Laurent-Desire Kabila. Most of my client’s assets have been confisticated and the funds cannot to left with the Private Security Deposit Firm to waste away. Since my client, cannot personally handle it due to his present predicament, he has mandated me to take care of the entire transaction with a complete foreigner who is capable of investing the funds into viable business ventures. The reason why we need to execute this transaction with a foreigner is to avoid unnecessary exposure. Therefore, there is need for absolute cooperation and confidentiality.

MODE OF TRANSFER: The mode of transfer has been perfectly worked out to ensure a successful and hitch free transaction. Since the said funds is in cash and with a Private Security Deposit Firm in London, I have made negotiations and arrangements with the Firm to change the beneficiary name from my client’s name to your name as the new beneficiary. The Security Deposit Firm will prepare a transfer of ownership from the first party who actually deposited the funds (my client) to the beneficiary name that you will provide. Your attention will be required and is important to lay claims on the funds as the beneficiary and put the funds into the banking system.

I have also concluded arrangements with my proxies at the security firm where the funds is lodged on the best way to successfully convey the funds as consignments out of London to a safe place Spain where the transaction can be successfully completed without raising any eyebrows. According to them, Spain would be the most appropriate since they have good banking facilities and connections to facilitate the transfer of the funds there. This is why we need to finalize the entire transaction in Spain.

There are several requirements I need to fulfill before the consignments can be successfully conveyed. Firstly, I have insured the consignments against any risk, paid for the demurrage from the time the consignments was lodged till date, I am also in the process of finalizing arrangements/payments to air freight the funds as consignments via diplomatic means to Spain under your name as the new beneficiary of the funds. You can see that this is not an easy task for me to fulfill. To achieve this I took loan and mortgaged my family properties and my only hope of paying back will be after we have successfully concluded the transaction. So, we cannot afford to fail and if you know that you are not going to be committed and dedicate time, kindly let me know now but if you are fully ready to embark on the transaction with me to the end, confirm to me at once so that I can go ahead to finalize all arrangements in our favour.

MODALITIES: Once all necessary arrangements/documentations have been finalized, the consignments would be conveyed to the Spain at once and as soon as it arrives, you shall be contacted as the beneficiary to lay claims to the consignments. At this point we shall both meet in Spain to finalize everything and as soon as they have made contact with you, I will need you to contact me so that I can co-ordinate my travelling arrangements to meet with you

Please strongly note that these funds will be conveyed via diplomatic means from London to Spain under the care of diplomatic agents that will ensure that the consignments are properly cleared from the Spanish customs and delivered to you. They will also guide you to open a transit domiciliary account in Spain so that as soon as the consignments are cleared, the funds will be deposited into the new account that you have opened for further transfer to your nominated bank account..

REQUIREMENTS: All that we require from you to conclude this transaction includes

(1) The complete name, address, telephone and fax numbers you intend to use as the beneficiary. This will enable me prepare an agreement that will bind us in this transaction and in the area of investments. More so, it shall be used in preparing documents that will enable you claim the ownership of the funds

(2) Most importantly, you will be required to take care of your travelling expenses and other miscellaneous expenses (tax payment required by the Spanish Government in order to clear consignments when they arrive Spain) that will be required from you by the diplomatic agents in Spain. These expenses will equally be deducted and reimbursed back to you before sharing. We strongly believe in a fair deal.

If you have considered this transaction has something you are competent enough to handle, then you can confirm the above requirements in your return reply to me. On receipt of the above information from you, it will take not later than three working days to conclude the entire arrangements with the Private Security Firm and after everything is concluded at their end, they will communicate with you immediately so that you can coordinate your travelling arrangements to be in Spain upon confirmation that the consignments have arrived there under your name as the beneficiary.

For security and confidentiality reasons, I will make no attempt to call you using land based telephone, which is routinely bugged and monitored; the only safe telephone is the satellite phone. You can call me on my satellite telephone number ++871-761356762 or fax number ++871-761356764 for more details and clarifications. You can reach me through these numbers by dialling your international access code before the satellite numbers. If you experience any difficulties, please consult your international telephone operator for assistance.

Thank you once again for your interest and willingness to participate in the successful execution of this transaction. Do not forget to realize that we both stand to benefit enormously from the success of this transaction. Therefore a genuine commitment is required from you. I hope to have a good business relationship with you as I wait to hear from you again soonest.

Best regards,

PETER Zentel

TEL: ++871-761356762

FAX: ++871-761356764

UK reply-to address? It's Yahoo domain... I live in Canada and my dad has an .co.uk mail account
    /\\

AntiOnline n00b
    hi,

Anybody instrested in Gold and Diamond merchandise ..............Just recieved this mail

X-Originating-IP: [206.190.39.131]
    Return-Path: <peterosongof2001@yahoo.ca>
    Received: from 206.190.39.131 (HELO web51110.mail.yahoo.com) (206.190.39.131) by mta102.mail.sc5.yahoo.com with SMTP; Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:45:53 -0700
    Message-ID: <20040803014552.76591.qmail@web51110.mail.yahoo.com>
    Received: from [196.15.254.150] by web51110.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP; Mon, 02 Aug 2004 21:45:52 EDT
    Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 21:45:52 -0400 (EDT)
    From: "peter osongo" <peterosongof2001@yahoo.ca> Add to Address Book
    Subject: I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE HELP.
    To: peterosongof2001@yahoo.ca
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-893317413-1091497552=:73391"
    Content-Length: 2696

I NEED A TRUSTWORTHY AND HONEST BUSINESS PARTNER.

ATTENTION: PRESIDENT / DIRECTOR: -

How are you today with your family and business? I hope fine. Well you may be surprised to receive this letter from me since you do not know me personally. I am MR.PETER OSONGO the first son of MR. OSONGO who was the formal direct of Gold and Diamond and a farmer who owns loot of farms lands in my country. He was recently murdered in the land dispute in Zimbabwe. But before the death of my father, he had taken me to Johannesburg to deposit the sum of US$15.5Million {Fifteen Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars} in one of the Private Security Companies, as if he foresaw the looming danger in Zimbabwe. This money he planed using it for the past Zimbabwean election campaign on 13th of March 2002, but very unfortunately he was murdered before the election.

This money was deposited in a box and he declared it to be official consignment belonging to his foreign affiliate. This land problem come when Zimbabwean president Mr. Robert Mugabe introduced a New Land Reform Act which wholly affected the rich white farmers and some few black farmers. This resulted to the killing by Zimbabwean war veterans and some lunatics in the society. In fact, a lot of people were killed because of this land reformed Act for which my father was one of the victims. After his funeral my family and I ran out of Zimbabwe to South Africa where this money was deposited to secure our life and invest here in South Africa.

On getting to South Africa, we could not find it easy to bring the consignment out of the Security Company, they demanded for our foreign affiliate / partner information’s. Now we are experiencing a lot of difficulties here in South Africa due to our partner information we are asked by the Private Security Company to bring. The attorney who helped my late father deposit the money with Private Security Firm advised me to look for a reliable trustworthy and honest foreign partner who would assist us transfer the money out of this country for investment as my father did not give / mention any particular information for his partner, but deposited the fund with my name.

After all his advise I decided with my family to look for a foreign trustworthy and honest partner who would help me transfer my fathers money to a foreign country. As the eldest son of my father, I am saddled with the responsibility of seeking a genuine foreign partner. On my search I saw your contact and I decided to contact you, as maybe you would be trustworthy and honest to deal with. All I seek for is an honest person, whom I can entrust my future and that of my family. All the necessary documents concerning this project are with my mother.

This money I intend to use it for investment growth in your country. I have two options for you. First you can choose to have certain percentage of the money for all your effort for the transfer of this fund before investment. Or you can go into partnership with me for the proper profitable investment of the money in your country if you would be honest to my family me. Which ever the option you want, feel free to notify me. If you do not prefer being a partnership I am willing to give you 15% of the money while the remaining will be for my family and me. If you are capable and willing to assist my family and me in this our situation please contact me immediately with this Private E-mail which I have sent you this massage with.

Meanwhile, I have had several meetings with the Security Firm on the possibility of shifting the consignment {fund} out of South Africa to any of their Offshore / Branch Office. They accepted, but needed my foreign partner / affiliate. Please we need your help. My mother a poor widow is always worried about these and pray for God to help us enter into a good and honest hand.

Finally, I must also let you know that this transaction is 100% risk free. Fill free to ask any question. But please treat this matter as urgent as possible. Contact me below.

I wait for your urgent reply soon.

Thanks and God bless you.

Best Regards,

MR PETER OSONGO.

peterosongof2001@yahoo.ca .............CA ia suppose is canada.....but oo well i too have a e-mail addy co.uk and i don't live there.

I am typing a responce now ........

--Good Luck--

Negative: The email address that you recieved the email is not one that you use for domain registration right? Spammers commonly use domain registration email addresses to find "prospective clients." I have also heard of the domain registry lists being sold (and been offered them in spam).
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Dead Man Walking
    wow sounds like a good old fashioned 419 scam. Check this link http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

Computer Forensics
    Negative: I neglected to remember that you are now in the US.
    Submit the email here as well: http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/strategy/nls.asp
    It's a little more detailed and you have to give up some information..but that's to be expected from the paranoid hamericans.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Me prince of Zimbabwe.
    Me have lots of money.
    For free money , send 100 USD to me.
    -n6