Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Back To The Going Back

Dead Man Walking
    Okay well JP if this site has gone downhill and you feel as though the old way was better (not judging here i wasnt around for the older AO) then start a new site. I know there is a non compete clause between you and JM but that doesnt stop you from guiding and advising an individual whith similar interests. Im not realy trying to be a dickhead but you walked away from it. What gives you the right to come back and bitch about how its run? Does a mother that gives her baby up for adoption have the right to dictate to the adoptive parents how the child should be raised? No. Maybe legaly depending on your location but not moraly. Im sick and god damned tired of hearing about how shitty this site is. If its that horrible why do people come back?

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    JP,

No offence, but you HAD the control here ( of course , you're the founder ), but I don't believe you have reason complaining here, since i know all of those good oldies ( some are still here , but most are gone ) and lots of others thought it was the kill for AO. The prediction came out. And no , I don't imply myself in the oldie club, but I am here for a few now and saw my fair share.

Indeed its not what it was anymore. As I recal people begged not to sell, but hey you did, which is your good right. But I don't believe you have reason complaining here.

I 'm still here cause of my love-hate relationship with this site. Hell i made some good friends here.

Cheers
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Zombie, I agree. I don't like to get involved in bitch-fests..and I've kept quiet through these types of threads and many others. I think this is a great site. I came here for the security / computer-related forums and that's why I'm still here. This is a dynamic site, it's full of valuable information. In my opinion I think the site has improved with Jupiter Media's ownership. It's less subjective (being owned by a corp. rather than an individual), threads are more on topic, less vulgar, less flames, more forums, etc. I also think it's in poor taste to constantly come back to AO and complain about how it's run.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Computer Forensics
    Originally posted here by mathgirl32
    Zombie, I agree. I don't like to get involved in bitch-fests..and I've kept quiet through these types of threads and many others. I think this is a great site. I came here for the security / computer-related forums and that's why I'm still here. This is a dynamic site, it's full of valuable information. In my opinion I think the site has improved with Jupiter Media's ownership. It's less subjective (being owned by a corp. rather than an individual), threads are more on topic, less vulgar, less flames, more forums, etc. I also think it's in poor taste to constantly come back to AO and complain about how it's run.
    It's less vulgar and there are less flames? Are you sure you are reading the right forums? (granted they will never go away) and as for him coming back and complaining about how it is run..let's not forget he is still a member. Compared to other people I think he did a nice job with this complaint. It's articulate and offers possible options for improvement. *shrug*
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Antionline Herpetologist
    I think the best thing to do is for JP to start his own site once his non-compete ends. I sure as hell would follow him there. JP, if you're reading this, do it!!!! I've been here for a while too and have seen this site go steadily downhill. I learnt most of what I learned from this site within the first year and a half or so of joining. I even stopped coming here for a while just after JupM bought the site (anyone remember souleman and co., negging intmon off the board ). I came back later because they seemed to be making an effort. But I've been coming here less and less of late because none of that effort translates into any real content improvement.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Banned
    I have my own little theory on "the contents on AO going downhill".

If you joined three years ago and didn't know much about security, your perception of AO probably was one along the lines of "Wow... most of this stuff is way over my head, but I'm sure I can learn a lot from this place and maybe one day contribute".

And now, three years later, you indeed did learn a lot and you indeed are contributing the best you can. But your perception of AO also has changed. There's not much left that is way over your head. There's not much left to learn anymore, since you already learned it all during your three years here.

Does that say something about the contents of AO? I didn't think so. And if it does, all it says it that the level of the contents have stayed the same. Your perception of those contents is what has changed, not the actual contents...

Compare it with taking the same C++ class three years in a row. Your first year, you might be overwhelmed and think that you're never going to master anything. Your third year, you'll get bored and laugh at yourself for having thought the way you did during that first year.
    But the "contents" of that C++ class haven't changed. It's you who has...

And then it's your responsibility to move up. And you can do that by either changing the "contents" of your class and higher the level of said class, or by moving along and finding another class.

It's up to you

If you joined three years ago and didn't know much about security, your perception of AO probably was one along the lines of "Wow... most of this stuff is way over my head, but I'm sure I can learn a lot from this place and maybe one day contribute".

And now, three years later, you indeed did learn a lot and you indeed are contributing the best you can. But your perception of AO also has changed. There's not much left that is way over your head. There's not much left to learn anymore, since you already learned it all during your three years here.
    That makes sense, because there is still fresh young blood here like myself who still find plenty, pleny over their head and are striving to be able to contribute one day. Maybe all you guys just got too old, ya old fogies!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Maybe all you guys just got too old, ya old fogies!
    We just plumb forgot what it was like. You know how the saying goes... "Memory is the 2nd thing to go.."
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Just throwing some gas on a fire and seeing how high the flames will go......

And then it's your responsibility to move up. And you can do that by either changing the "contents" of your class and higher the level of said class, or by moving along and finding another class.
    One could counter that those of us who have suggested, several times I might add, a "Professionals Forum" where the conversation is restricted, (but the forum can be read by all), to security only related topics are being politely asked to "move on" since we aren't being given the opportunity to move up within the confines of the site.....

One could think that security related material is no longer the aim of the site if that is the case.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Or Tiger Shark, being a Top AP earner, you can use your punches to force people into submission and make them actually post useful information.

That reminds me, Tiger, you and anyone else who wants to, I would like to send my paper out. The more who read and give me feed back the better. Negative was one of the first to read it and he was like cool. So like, PM me your Email address Ok?

Both are nothing more than Plain text files, so you don't have to worry about not being able to read them if you don't have X loaded. I wrote them in Vim and Emacs (Depended what I was doing) So like, send me a PM, with your Email addy, and I'll send you a copy of both papers, and you can read through them, give your opinion, and what you'd like to see in them, and what you think should be taken out.

MsMittens, if you want to, I'll send it to you too, just let me know. They are quite large, so I don't send unless I get an OK. Almost 60 KB, and plain text, yea, almost a book heh. I will be posting them to AntiOnline as soon as I've finished and give it my stamp of approval.

This isn't like where I wrote something and say "I'm just trying to get a reaction" Or "I'm just trying to make you believe I'm dumb". No, this paper on OS and on Slackware and Free BSD, are serious as can be, with of course a slight dose of humor for readability, and a lot of effort to make them good. I welcome all that would like to read them, so send me a PM, or MEssage me on AIM if you have my screen name, and let me know.

These papers are the reason I've been popping out so many Installation tutorials lately. It's not that I don't know anything else, but when you read the paper, if something I said made you want to try out an OS, well, I've provided a tutorial for that OS as well so you can read, learn, and then install. OS are your friends, and the most important piece of software that your computer loads, other than BIOS of course.