Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11gbps? Is this ever possible?

11gbps? Is this ever possible?

A friend of mine sent me this screenshot and said that his friend got phiber optic cables and then hacked his ISP and supercharged his connection to 11gbps. Is this even possible? Here is the screenshot.

Banned
    Greetings:

Your friend is trying to make a fool out of you, so tell him to STFU.

Take a look at the address that's in the address bar. That site passes the determined speed from some other script as a variable to this one that parses things out in pretty web format. You could change the "kbps=" to any value that you want, and make the page display it.

Tell your friend to go back to playing stupid pet tricks with AOL users.

It's always a friends friend..

Could it that it's a crappy test and stuff was cached ??
    reading from cache could give you results like this..
    or photoshop else I would like a howto from your friends friend

<edit type=add>
    Nice one JP..
    Didn't think of that..
    </edit>
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    in either case. the simple answer is no. because he might have fibre optics, but if the provider doesnt, it wouldnt get that speed. and as for hacking the isp to obtain a faster connection, even if this were true, it would also be one of the most obvious things ISP's keep and eye out for - and wouldnt last long without persecution.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Banned
    Greetings All:

Originally posted here by CybertecOne
    and as for hacking the isp to obtain a faster connection, even if this were true, it would also be one of the most obvious things ISP's keep and eye out for - and wouldnt last long without persecution.

CTO
    Sorry, but that last statement isn't at all true. You've obviously never heard of people uncapping their cable connections? Something easily done, and not often detected.

When I get my OS 256 I'll have a faster connection than that. 13 GBPS *Sigh* not that the rest of the internet could keep up with it.... Or my HD in my Laptop could handle it... Or the HD in any of my desktops. Ah well.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    uncapping their cable connections? Something easily done, and not often detected.
    theres a big difference between uncapping and speed. (once again the International Issue may have come up as Australian ISP's may work quite differently)

and to answer the post's title, if that speed is ever possible, yes... eventually ANY speed would be possible (whats to say it wont be) ... but atm that speed would come in at some big $$$ heh. almost to the point of a waste of money for internet. you can only dl as fast as the repsponding servers can upload.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

A friend of mine sent me this screenshot and said that his friend got phiber optic cables and then hacked his ISP and supercharged his connection to 11gbps. Is this even possible? Here is the screenshot.
    He's got fiber optics cable going from where to where? Yes fiber optic cables can exceed 10Gbps, but the chances that u can get that on your computer atm is nil. You still have a cat5 fast ethernet cable connected from your computer to the modem. If its a cable modem you have a coaxial cable running from the wall to the modem and from the modem to your computer through either a cat5 cable, or a USB cable. If its DSL, then you have a cat1 cable going to the modem, and a cat5 going to the computer. Cat5 cables have a max speed of 100mb/s btw.

Fiber optic cables, or 10baseF cables are expensive, and generally placed underground.....I seriously doubt your friend got them. Maybe he bought a few meters and its just laying in his room . He's simply bullshitting you lol.

I ment to say even possible....ever was a typo.

No it is not possible at all. At Packet Engines (pretty good switches) they a huge pipe to the internet 1Gbps and the ISP had to throttle them down to 512Mbps because they couldn't handle the load.

The OC-255 has a theoretical limit of 13.2Gbps. As far as I've heard the biggest one working today in the real world is OC-192 at 10Gbps. But even that is between sites not to the internet. Both of these are big equipment, big cost, big installation.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson