Thread: How Do I Link To ...

How Do I Link To ...

a specific post rather than to a listing in a thread?

Hmm that's not clear is it? What I mean is in this list of posts how do I link to thehorse13's post directly rather than the top of page two?

I can see the threadid number and the pagenumber so how do I find the postid or postnumber?

Does that make sense?
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    hehe, actually the first line made perfect sense.

the post number is at the top right of the 'content' area of each post. and the thread id is easy to find in the address bar.

so you want it like this #post794747

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=262464#[post id number]

the only problem is that the post number is not synched with the thread number. so its not like you can enter it to "read" : goto post# OF thread# (i think.... anyone know)

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

that is the link.. just click on the Post number.. that will give you the url I have here

Cheers

Like this post is

edit> bye golly I think he has got it..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thanks CybertecOne ...

If I understand you correctly this link should work for my example, but it doesn't! I've experimented with it, to no effect.

I have seen Foxyloxley do this in a recent thread. I'll see if I can find that thread and check it out.

It has to be obvious, just too obvious for me to sus out! lol

Eureka! ...

No you don't smell! lol

I found foxyloxley's post here which demonstrates it. Hopefully I've emulated it!

To work my original example I think this should work.

Can't understand why I didn't check out Foxyloxley's post earlier. Must have been having a "Simple," moment! lol

Banned
    Greetings:

The problem is that the link being passed is simply an in-line page anchor. This works fine, if the post you are linking to is on page 1 of the thread. However, since the link isn't passing a page number as well, if the post is on any page other than the 1st, the anchor isn't there to be linked to.

Sooooo, the link with the post number needs updated to include a page number as well. This should be moved to the Oops forum, and the admins should be able to fix it in about 2secs flat.

Thanks JP, However ...

I've sused a way to do it by substituing the &threadid for &postid=number taken from the post # in the top right of the post contents field and then appending the #postpost number

See my posting just before yours.

EDIT

I've re-read this post and it seems a bit garbled! Let me explain a bit more clearly.

If I want to link directly to JP's post above, from this post I would need to use:

Code:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=262464&perpage=5&pagenumber=2
    from the address bar, but substitiute threadid=262464&perpage=5&pagenumber=2 for postid=794758#post794758 to give me:

Code:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=794758#post794758
    which works like this!

The post number is taken from hovering over the (post #?) in the top right of the post's content area.

I hope this is a bit more understandable now.

/EDIT

I added page number to the post links, so they should now work as expected.

- h
    I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.

Thank's Mnstrgrl ...

they do indeed!

Jolly good show ma'm! Ahem! I mean girl!