As400

Thread: As400

Banned

As400

Hi,

I want to try AS400, are there any test drive program like http://www.testdrive.compaq.com but for AS400?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I haven't played with AS/400 myself but have always been curious. I did run across this: http://www.ibmuser.com/train/train.htm Might be of help (unlikely that you'd find something for free in the AS/400 area because of the cost of the software, IIRC).

[edit]

Although, further investigation indicates that you could purchase cheaper access with their partner: Virtual400. Seems to start at $9.95/mo.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    I used to have an AS/400 (old write-off from a bank) so I took some OS/400-courses. I found a free shell here.

You used to be able to get access to it by just sending them a request email, but that option seems to have disappeared and they're asking you to give them a call (here).

Banned
    Thanks MsMittens & Negative

AS/400 is an amazing architecture and has a huge market. But i dont think that IBM has something like "try and buy" for those machines. They arent cheap. They use PowerPC processor (same from Risc/6000, but with some "mods") and they can be from the size of an desktop PC until large as a Mainframe.
    Some of its "features": O.S. is "interpreted". funny, inst it? And it is Object oriented (even its "machine language"). Its a single level storage architecture - O.S. "cant" see the diference between real storage and disks.. its really funny

BTW, why are you interested? just for learning or your company is thinking about buy it?
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.