Establishing a broadband connection on a new computer

Thread: Establishing a broadband connection on a new computer

Establishing a broadband connection on a new computer

Hey guys, thanks so much for the great information on how to make a bootable windows xp iso,

i have windows installed.. and i have a Cable modem with a dell computer 256 ram and a 40 gig hd..but i am trying to establish a connection with the intenet through wizards and its not doing anything useful. Im on a netgear router with a cable modem i know its connected right because i havent changed any connections since i used my computer back when it was on the old windows. The wizards say since im on a broadband connection it should already be set up, but its not. Help!!

cheers-
    mastacracka

so what does ipconfig /all tell you?
    Are you getting the correct IP info?
    Can you ping your gateway? By IP and by name?
    Can you traceroute beyond your gateway by IP and by name?

I suggest you skip the wizards and just go right to the source.

netstat has nothing ip config is clear i cant ping anything and there ARE NO gateways :-\ i know for a fact it is hooked up right i just dont htink windows xp is recognizing it

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Did you install SP 2? Do you have a firewall enabled? Do you use DHCP or static IP addressing for your internet connection? Do you have a router connected to your Broadband modem? Is it up? Did you reboot it? Is your Broadband modem up and powered on? Did you reboot it?

Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Did you install SP 2? Do you have a firewall enabled? Do you use DHCP or static IP addressing for your internet connection? Do you have a router connected to your Broadband modem? Is it up? Did you reboot it? Is your Broadband modem up and powered on? Did you reboot it?

I tryed to download SP2 but i cant find a hardcopy to burn to a disk they are all self-download and self-install, but im looking for that not
    no firewall enabled unless the one that comes with xp is on, ill check that momentairly
    I am Static ip addressing (where it stays the same, correct?)
    Yes, i have a router connected.. a Netgear RT314 Gateway router
    I turned off my cable modem computer and router for a full minute, then rebooted..dident work
    And yes, my cable modem and router are operational, other wise i woudlent be able to post this right now, my computer im trying to set up and this one are going through the same router and cable modem

any ideaas?

What does the Hardware Device Manager say about the drivers for the network card?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

it doesnt have the drivers for them , but where do i get them from? like i said netgear RT314 cable modem with dell 2400 computer

Uh... Dell would be my first try. Since you are online, go visit their website and see if they are small enough to download onto floppy (they should be). Did you not get a drivers CD with this machine? (and your modem has diddly to do with the NIC drivers).

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    What do you mean by ipconfig is "clear"

If it tells you that there aren't any interfaces, (or words to that effect), then the NIC isn't working under the new ISO - so you probably didn't build it right.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

dident build WHAT right, i've installed XP a few times before and i always forget what to do to get established to the internet on a router with broadband..idk what ur talking aobut tiger shark..mrsmitt can u plz get me those drivers like a link or a zip file attachment i been looking but cant find any help appreciated..thanks

mastacracka