Need Help, Hacker Troubles
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help, Hacker Troubles

Need Help, Hacker Troubles

I am being hacked at this term, it is not coming through the phone lines but rather through the airwaves. I was told I need to buy some kind of RF shilding.

What is this and where would I buy it?
    Are there any other ways to prevent these attacks on my system?

Any help/advice would be great
    Tracy Givens
    Share on Google+

Your home computer? Work? School?

What OS are you running?

Why do you think you are being "hacked"?

What external devices do you have attached other than a modem/phone line?

Do you have a wireless card?

Who told you that you were bing "hacked" via RF and why do they think this?

A bit more info on your part would make it easier for us to help/advise you.

Thanks
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.
    Share on Google+

My system

Your home computer? Work? School?

A: Home. It is an emachines, windows me, Inland pro comm 3500 base that the monitor sets on.

What OS are you running?

A: Do not know what OS is, sorry.

Why do you think you are being "hacked"?

A: Not only does my mouse react differently but my keys will be rearanged so to speak. Example of this would be the space bar=deleat, enter=backspace, backspace=insert and so on. There are many other ways I can tell also.

What external devices do you have attached other than a modem/phone line?

A: emachine modem, umax scaner, printer, monitor and base it sets on that all of the componets work through (get there power) Dial up service.

Do you have a wireless card?

A: Not that I know of

Who told you that you were bing "hacked" via RF and why do they think this?

A: Contact with the Electronic Crime Task Force. I am having an harassment issue here at this is part of it.

I am on line now if you would like to IM me at either of the following

Outcastone2000 on aol

northtexasrocker04 on yahoo

A bit more info on your part would make it easier for us to help/advise you.
    Share on Google+

Regal Making Handler
    Here is a link to three tutorials that cover wireless network security: http://www.neg.be/index/?c=91
    They are all posted here on AO so you wont have to go far.

As for FR Shielding and what it is:

Very basicaly, FR stands for radio frequency. There are manufacturers who make equipment that is designed to reduce the emitions of radio waves, this can take the form of a metalized fabrique, this is then used as a gasket or sheet to prevent radio waves passing through.

Here is a company based in the states that deals in this area, i used to work for the uk destributor of there products: http://www.schlegel.com/home.aspx

A point here though, FR/EMI shielding is very expensive, so much so i would think it cost prohibitive for most users.

It is possible to reduse the footprint of your wireless equipment, that is to say the area you are transmitting to. Without going to the cost of using FR shielding. This can be achieved by carefull possitioning of the equipment and i will list a few things below:

1/Radio waves are recieved at the strongest signal strength when direct line of site is achieved, so if you can deny an attacker this, it will reduse there chances of success.

2/Radio waves attenuate, (effectivly they get weaker) due to obsticles, distance, type of ground and atmospheric conditions. So look at ways to put as many walls, desks furniture etc, between your equipment and potentual attack locations, you will not be able to control the atmospheric condions obviously in the home envireoment.

3/Electicity interfears with radio waves, so look at the possibility of masking them with electric or electronic appliances.

4/If you suspect someone is hacking your wireless network, take a wonder around the outside of you location, who ever it is will almost certainly be within 100 meters. They will have a laptop or PDA with them, so should not be to hard to spot. Then take apropriate action.

Hope this helps some

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry
    Share on Google+

I really have a hard time thinking that you're being hacked via RF...

I'm thinking more along the lines of trojan...

Do you have updated antivirus?

If not... scan your PC @ http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    Then get the cleaner from moosoft.com and update and scan with that.

I'm very curious how they came to the conclusion that you were being hacked via RF... did they explain to you why they thought this? Did they examine your computer? Or did you just tell them you thought you were hacked and they gave you that answer?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.
    Share on Google+

Banned
    Phish > This should answer your questions...
    Share on Google+

Holy crap!.... and there is way more than that... (google)

Tracy... I tried to contact you via IM as requested. You have not responded and I'm signing off for the evening...

Try scanning with the links I provided and remove any malware you have received. If I were you, I'd upgrade your OS (Windows ME) to at least Windows 2000 and if your computer will support it... then use XP. Windows ME is a very easy operating system to "hack". XP with the correct settings will make it damn near impossible... especially of a workstation when you are offering no services.

Then get yourself a fresh start. (new email addresses and new passwords along with up2date antivirus and a firewall) I would suggest Norton Internet Security to you as it is a very easy to learn software internet security solution.

There are several threads regarding the security of Windows 2000 or XP and there is no need to repeat that here.
    Share on Google+

Regal Making Handler
    Holy crap!.... and there is way more than that... (google)
    There is indeed, there would seem to be a hole network of Paranoid Dilusionals out there to:

http://www.raven1.net/vphotos.htm .......is one.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry
    Share on Google+

BANNED
    I think you should see a doctor. And if you ate seeing a doctor and he's believing or adding to this story in your head you should see a new doctor.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...
    Share on Google+

ummm.... that is a tuffy for me i am not to sure of being hacked through air waves or something like that. I may be mistaking correct me if i am wrong but i think the only way that is possible is with a wireless card in there but the only other way i could see is if you use faxing maby or e mail maby but it has to be through the phone line i am thinkenn but then again i may be wrong.
    Share on Google+