Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what do people want?

Computer Forensics

what do people want?

I'd like to get an idea as to what people want out of this forum..and specifically what they want out of me. I can answer questions..write how to's(although there are plenty out there), provide resources...

so what would you all like to see?
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

i would like to see some information on flash media -- mainly how to low level format, how to recover data that was deleted and how to edit the partitions (i think that classifies as forensics so long that i am looking for this information so that i can learn more about how an operating system interacts with these devices and how data can be manipulated/reconstructed on them)
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Old Fart
    I'd like to see a few tuts on forensics made sticky....not anything long-haired mind you...keep it simple. Two or three that explain the basics and will bring newbs (like myself) to a level of understanding that enables us to gain the basic knowlege needed to grasp the subject. Maybe one on basic terminology and methods, one that introduces the basic "forensics toolkit" and one that explains the purpose of computer forensics, it's uses in the real world, etc.

Just my .02
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Banned
    Greetings:

Originally posted here by djscribble
    i would like to see some information on flash media -- mainly how to low level format,
    Uhm, I think hog's looking for "larger picture" things here, not specific questions. I think he's trying to decide how he should run this forum, and what features people would like to see out of it.

As you mentioned before, tutorials and the like can easily be found in other places. Personally, when it comes to forensics, I've always been most interested in case studies. Like most aspects of criminology, it seems that you can learn the most by reading about specific incidents, how they were handled, and what the end results were.

Perhaps people can be on the lookout for interesting cases in the news where it's obvious a forensics expert was utilized. Hog could then contact those involved in the case, and maybe get them to do a Q & A about it.

Maybe if I get some time and motivation, I'll do some write ups on some of the cases that I've worked on in the past as well, and post them online somewhere.

Computer Forensics
    If I wasn't mentally spent I would start working on these things now..but I am tired, and have to be up early.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

I would like to se more postings concerning wifi security for both home AP's and Public hotspots.
    Mabey even some scenerio workups.

Banned
    Greetings:

Originally posted here by spamdies
    I would like to se more postings concerning wifi security for both home AP's and Public hotspots.
    Lesson #1 for stupid newbie: Bother to read what forum a thread is in before you post to it and make an ass out of yourself.

Computer Forensics
    read..read..then read some more. damn.
    Antionline in a nutshell

Trust your Technolust

Banned
    Greetings:

One more thought. How about you get JupM to have a forensics files section. I have a TON of unclassified stuff from the military that can be used for examinations, plus a bunch of other things people that I know have made as well. I'm sure that you and others have things that they could contribute to it as well (freeware, opensource, etc.) It would be nice to provide people some toys to play with, even if they don't do anything more with them than examinations of their own boxes and media....

Computer Forensics
    I doubt jupm would spring for that...I can see if I can host something at work though..except they charge for bandwidth.
    Antionline in a nutshell

Trust your Technolust