Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to be an AO Mod?

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar

Wanting to be an AO Mod?

Sitting here at my computer, (as i do) thinking.... (as i do) and wondering who and why would members want to be a Mod. im not saying that most people do but its often that people want to bein power of certain things, either to change something or to avenge a past item.

Personally i wouldnt want to be a Mod because of us members constantly bitching at them and because of all the work.

but i was just wondering out of natural curiousity if there are members who have thought this and what they would do or change if you became a Mod. you can also talk in context as to if you were a solitary Mod or whether there was a board desicion lol

Speek loud and freely, all memebers from newbies to fossils

[edit] as for the forum this post is in, it was moved. i put it in General Discussion. [/edit]

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

well, i would like it to be a mod, and for the main reason of helping more, and coming more actively involved with the site that i like most

of course you would have more power, but also more responsibility, and that must not be your main reason, otherwise you could start a site yourself, containing a forum.

yes, i would like it, and although members are bitching at you, they also respect you more, because they know that your doing your job, and making decisions, which makes some people happy, and others unhappy at the same time.

oh yeah, this isn't a job offer, is it??

Banned
    / General Programming Questions /

This does not fit in here and whether you want to be a moderator or not, the chances are slim, you actually have to know what you are talking about and be expierenced in something... like hogfly... a Cornell University IT man. =)

Banned
    Greetings All:

HAhahaha. I love it.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    [edit] as for the forum this post is in, it was moved. i put it in General Discussion. [/edit]
    Err... no. I didn't see any record of it being moved. Anyways, I put it here which seems more appropriate for it.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I asked this question an awfully long time ago and the answer was "don't call us, we'll call you" (well, that was the gist of it). In other words, if you want to be made a mod, you'll have to wait to be asked.

Personally I think we have enough decent mods (the fact that MsMittens and Negative are paid means they can justify spending more time moderating than say I would) to go round at the moment, and plenty of "bad" threads get killed by the AP system as well.

As for myself, I wouldn't complain if I suddenly found myself able to move/close threads, but it isn't going to happen so I don't give it much thought.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Dead Man Walking
    Being a moderator isnt all that its cracked up to be. I am a moderator at a forum MUCH smaller than this one with approxamately 100 members. Its a pain in the ass even on one that small to have to go in and move a thread beacuse some nooB doesnt want to read the title of the area he's posting in. Its got to be a major headache for MsMittens and Negative to deal with all the crap around here.

but i was just wondering out of natural curiousity if there are members who have thought this and what they would do or change if you became a Mod. you can also talk in context as to if you were a solitary Mod or whether there was a board desicion lol
    Wow you misunderstand what mods realy do. They dont run the forums as much as they baby sit them. In the overall shceme of things MsMittens and Negative sre realy limited as to what powers they have. Yea they can ban users and delete posts but they cant make drastic policy changes. Thats got to come from the suits at JupMedia. Everybody has a boss.

Think about it. If there was a moderator that just suddenly and arbitrarily started changing things, how many people would stick around for any length of time? They have to look at whats in the best interest of the comunity rather than thier personal beliefs.

EDIT: to :TT and pwaring, I didnt see one place in his post where he asked to be a moderator or even implied it. He was asking a general question so cut the guy some slack

hum. i dont want this job ever. A lot of ppl complaining about "hey, someone said @$## on thread xxx and it hurts me". I have enough of this from my children....
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Banned
    ZM77, where once did I mention him by name...

well, i would like it to be a mod, and for the main reason of helping more, and coming more actively involved with the site that i like most
    This person did actually say he wanted to and I responded correctly. Thank you.

Dead Man Walking
    my apologies i misunderstood you.