Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Option of paying for access

Option of paying for access

Hey Hey,

I know that I've addressed this before but I'm going to readdress... just not so adamantly this time..

People have brought up the option of putting the single Gold Dot in use... people don't like having APs affect them... People want a private area for discussions and JupM is a business so they've got no problem with money coming in...

So how about an optional paid membership?

Sell a yearly subscription, or a life time membership... that type of thing would be up to the suits at JupM to hammer out.... something not overly expensive.. reasonable... yet profitable.. and offer benefits... Premium Membership... a single gold dot making you impervious to the AP system... no skiddie or no one looking to spam would pay because it would mean they'd be on file with their paypal, CC or however JupM accepted payments.. so it wouldn't affect that.. Most likely it would appeal to some of the seniors feed up with the AP system... and have so many greenies that they are already impervious... Leave the custom titles with their requirements as a site benfit.. but add Premium member/Paying member to the line below the custom/standard title... Create a paid members only forum where anything is free to be discussed.... Give paying members back their antionline.com email address or add a small additional fee to have an AO email address.... and create custom clothing on the cafepress store for premium members... AntiOnline: Premium Member or something along those lines... or give them the option of requesting an AO shirt with their name on it... They submit the graphic of their name.... JupM adds it to cafepress.. the person orders it... and the shirt is removed and awaits the next person...

It works two-fold... It gives JupM several ways of making money (Subscription/Membership, Custom Clothing, Email Addresses)... and it gives members a way of getting out of the hassle that is the AP system...
    It also leaves those who are against paying the option of sticking around for the same site... just extra benefits for those willing to pay...

Anyways... just an idea I had.

Peace,
    HT

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    JP did something similar when he asked for donations. those who contributed got a special mark or something next to their names.... dont know if i could find the thread. but in relation to the question, im all for it.. cept JupMedia is the only obsticle here

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

er0k
    while we are at it, why don't we set up a system to where we can just "buy" antipoints. i would like 3,000,001 please. how much would that cost me...

Originally posted here by CybertecOne
    JP did something similar when he asked for donations. those who contributed got a special mark or something next to their names.... dont know if i could find the thread. but in relation to the question, im all for it.. cept JupMedia is the only obsticle here

CTO
    i believe you are thinking of the "helped bail JP out."

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    If they pay for this and get the "Gold Dot", thus making them impervious of the AP system, can they still assign APs? If one is opting out, wouldn't it be completely?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Dead Man Walking
    IMHO if they opt out of the antipoint system it should be totaly. I know the gold dot memebers can make assingments but they dont count for points. I personaly would be one of the first in line for such an option. I would be more than willing to pay a REASONABLE amount to get away from the hassle and have a place to get away from some of B.S. that goes on in the regular forums.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    yeah, retire the AP-system, and let's have spome decent on-topic discussions again.
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Computer Forensics
    Pay attention to the forensics forum

and uhm..to stay on topic with this thread..
    I personally wouldn't pay to exclude myself from antipoints, or the system. They just don't mean that much to me. The idea has potential, but I just can't see clearly defined benefits as a paying member.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Originally posted here by hogfly
    Pay attention to the forensics forum

and uhm..to stay on topic with this thread..
    I personally wouldn't pay to exclude myself from antipoints, or the system. They just don't mean that much to me. The idea has potential, but I just can't see clearly defined benefits as a paying member.
    Hey Hey,

It was a cluttered partial thought so I threw it up on here.. I welcome better ideas for benefits.... let's take a suggestionm build on it and make it great.

I agree that if you opt out of the AP system... it should be opped out of completely... a two way process..

However I've been thinking lately and I think mods should have the option to opt out o fthe AP system (without having to pay)... A nice little purple dot with pink polka dots which signifies moderator :P

Anyways through out more benefit ideas...

JupM... any comments?

Peace,
    HT

Apparently I'm the only one...but what the hell... I definitely like the idea, but I believe there should be something in the middle or have these as two completely seperate ideas. Props to HTregz tho. I mean I would be more than willing to pay (a reasonable amount) for 'membership' but I'm finally able to actually have an effect on someone when I greenie or neg them and I would be reluctant to give that up. I *like* being able to take part in negging some irritating member off the boards. I *like* making a really good post go (partially) shiny when I greenie it. I *like* being able to contribute to closing a thread. (the latter would be the lesser of all things b/c I could still report it....) So perhaps a gold dot for premium (paying) members (where the dot only signifies that someone is a paying member) and then the option to be removed entirely from the antipoint system. And perhaps that option could be limited to seniors with 11 dotz or something. Maybe it would be less confusing to have like a gold dot for paying members that have been removed from the AP system and another color for the others. (I like black...heh, then I would look scary) Opinions?

Computer Forensics
    Originally posted here by HTRegz

It was a cluttered partial thought so I threw it up on here.. I welcome better ideas for benefits.... let's take a suggestionm build on it and make it great.

Anyways through out more benefit ideas...
    HT, I didn't mean to imply that I had a better idea for any benefits. To explain a little more..I personally don't see a reason to pay for something that I haven't gotten much out of. Granted I have been idle for a long time now(one of the reasons I have been lurking is due to lack of stimulation from the forums) but that is picking up. Maybe in a month I will have a better idea of what some benefits could be, but right now I don't.

However I've been thinking lately and I think mods should have the option to opt out o fthe AP system (without having to pay)... A nice little purple dot with pink polka dots which signifies moderator :P
    Nice idea! I'd opt out in a heartbeat.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust