View Poll Results: What is your top consideration in evaluating a product's security?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Number of reported vulnerabilities

9 39.13%
  • Scale of informal review

1 4.35%
  • Product reputation

10 43.48%
  • Formal evaluation against a standard

15 65.22%
  • Attractiveness of the person pitching the product

2 8.70%
  • Other (please explain)

6 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thread AntiPoints in Cosmos?

Originally posted here by Negative
    [B]Thread AntiPoints in Cosmos would reflect how good a thread is. Nobody would gain AntiPoints, nobody would loose AntiPoints, just like it is now.

The option to neg threads rather than users is there, so my question is: should it be allowed in Cosmos, yes or no?
    yes.

(sometimes best answer is the shortest one)
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

I don't think enabling APs in cosmos is a good idea. There will always be people assigning negative or positive APs because they do or don't agree with the oppinions posted. Laying this next to the issue of closing threads because they're nonsense, this should be a job for the moderators imo.
    Bleh.

Hmm...I see what you're saying now Neg, I was initially thinking APing a person, forgot about the thread concept. I'm not sure, I can see it both ways, though I think I lean a little toward the 8th Dwarf here.

I think the question to raise that's going to be of key imporance is -- Is it really necessary? Is there a need for it? Will we be any better off?

Banned
    Get rid of personal AP assignments and keep the general thread assignment so that skiddies can be stopped....

But playing devil's advocate, what happens if a mean troll (like me) starts posting massive amounts of offensive material in Cosmos? He/She can't be banned by other users so more responsiblity would lie on the moderators' shoulders... can they handle it?

I am opposed to either personal or thread APs in Cosmos. It would
    lead to a "veto of the small minded". Every time some sensitive soul
    saw things being discussed that he thought should not be
    discussed, he could attempt to shut down the thread.

I'm reminded of the humorless people who always lectured me in my childhood
    "Never discuss politics or religion in polite society." What do they discuss,
    horse racing? The Opera?

Anyway, it's totally unnecessary. My ultimate vote of no-confidence for a thread
    is to refuse to participate in it. Whenever I stay out of a thread,
    it collapses of irrelevance and boredom.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Regal Making Handler
    I voted no, i do not believe ap's should be asigned for anything other than security related posts.

The thread asignment sounds a good idea though. It allows for some sence of the quality of the thread without having to wade through crap befor reaching something worth while reading.

But i'm not going to loose any sleep either way
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by jinxy
    I voted no, i do not believe ap's should be asigned for anything other than security related posts.

The thread asignment sounds a good idea though. It allows for some sence of the quality of the thread without having to wade through crap befor reaching something worth while reading.

But i'm not going to loose any sleep either way
    The vote is ON thread assignment AP's... So if it's a good idea, why did you vote against it? I do not understand?

I think a few people have misunderstood like this. Perhaps we should make it clear and start another thread to decide it?
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Banned
    Greetings:

mathgirl32 votes "Yes"

Hrm. I have a feeling I know how this one will turn out. I think we should start lobbying her in the future before she casts her vote.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Originally posted here by JP
    Greetings:

mathgirl32 votes "Yes"

Hrm. I have a feeling I know how this one will turn out. I think we should start lobbying her in the future before she casts her vote.

Heh...hardly. My vote counts 3.703%(with 27 votes) just like yours. In case you hadn't noticed, Negative and I disagree just about 100% on anything Cosmos-related. I don't even know what he thinks on this issue....I've asked a few times but haven't really been given an answer. I have my own opinion and it is neither influenced nor does it carry more weight than another's opinion.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

I would lean more towards what Rcgreen said. If a thread is uninteresting it tends to die out fairly quickly as people ignore it. Also you have the problem of how to apply the antipoints. Would a newbie have the same number of antipoints as a senior member or would a sliding scale be applied? Cosmos is the one forum where up till now everyone is on an equal level when it comes to discussing very sensitive topics.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)