Thread: Testing computer security

Testing computer security

Well, AO. How's everyone doing? I'm sure nothing is perfect, everyone has heir own problems that they need to find ways to counteract. As does myself. This post, is my first 'actual' post here other than the introduction that no one is allowed to reply to. But I read resour ces given on this site, and being a beginner, I've aqquired different books that will further my knowledge in security. I've read a book that teaches the basic fundamentals of TCP/IP. I'm currently read MCSE Training Guide, for Windows NT Worstation 4.0, to familiarize myself with the depths of Windows, gain the ability to think 'like' a Microsoft administrator, and possibly protect my system, as well as others from attacks. I have two computers in my home at the moment, one is a Windows XP box with a DSL connection. My other computer is a Windows ME box, with dial up internet. I understand that it uses the PPP protocol, if I remember reading correctly. I would like to know if I can remotely connect from my XP computer, to my ME computer, by simply using commands such as telnet, and the given IP address of the computer that I would like to connect to (ME). If it is possible to access my Windows ME computer from my XP box, please inform me of how to do so. If it wont bother, dont hesitate to explain why this is possible as well.

*edit. No Trojan info wanted

HI neither of those platforms have a remote shell server running out fo the box.
    You would need a 3rd party application.

The computers can share files and printers out of the box.

Are they currently networked together? Or can they be if not?

After you connect them together, what are you wanting to do?

I'm sure we can cook something up.

Yes it's possible to network them. I just have to establish a router and run the cord through the wall, and hook it up to the other computers. I was aware I could connect that way, I was just wanting to check if I can connect to another remote computer by means of only IP address, and primary system configuration information. Would you mind explaining shell servers a bit more? Also, once I connected to the ME by means of XP, I would then attempt to send a file, in hopes that it does not willingly accept the file. I would then attempt to diagnose the paramaters of security on the ME on an expirimental basis. My ME box has no security whatsoever enabled at the moment for this to be made possible. I also turned off the firewall, opened access to all TCP/IP ports, disabled AVGS and Norton, and it's connected to the internet and logged on right now. What I'm basically trying to do is test to actually try to figure out what ports send what information, how suceptible is a given port to a possible attack, diagnosing the problem 1st hand, and testing TCP/IP information sent from one source to another destination. I've read that it's possible to connect to different networks and or servers by using only IP address, ie: no Name Resolution. So it should be possible to connect to another computer, especially if the computer is actually configured to be connected to remotely by any given source. I figure that by doing this, I can increase my understanding of the concepts a bit more, until I aquire more books and resources. Some expiriments simply need to be done firsthand.

re: shell server

If you want to connect computer a to computer b via telnet (which is a shell service)
    computer b would need to be running a software service that accepts telnet connections.
    It's not a service native to either of the two windows versions you mentioned.

Make sense?

Yes, it makes sense. So even though they come with Telnet, they dont come with the necessary server software to 'support' Telnet. I understand. Well, that information was usefull. It looks impossible then without 3rd party software, which I was really trying to avoid. Had I used 3rd party software, that would take away a small bit of the experience. Well, I'm going to go read up more on Windows a bit, before I move to a Dual Linux/Windows. After familiarizing myself with the inside and out of Windows, then I'll read Hacking Exposed, recommended by MsMittens in one post or another. In which then I'll move on to learning my first programming language with the recommended C/+/++. Looks like I need to just take it a step at a time, and understand the basics before I move up. Everything takes patience. You cant catch a fish that was purchased, unless you free it in the ocean. Learning is for the thrill.
    \"I\'m a lonely soldier, at war... Sent away to die... never quite knowing why.... Sometimes it makes no sense at all....\"

holy sig pic....

maybe you should trim that sucker down?

BTW, are you planning on running NT 4?
    You may want to start learning on a newer platform like xp/2000 as
    Windows NT was still very NETBIOS(netbeui) centric and windows has moved
    on to more of a TCP/IP approach.

From a beginners standpoint, there may not be much use for leaning about running WINS services anymore.

If you pick up some linux to run, you can learn TCP/IP and have remote shells like telnet and
    ssh(secure shell) to use out of the box..

That may be putting cart before the horse tho.

I see. Well, the book I had was given to me by someone who didnt really have an interest in computers. Some of the chapters in it are fairly enlightening, others are more based on information that I already know, and or would not benefit from. So yea, I do understand that Linux is the lean towards the future, but u have to understand Windows as well, since Windows is the main cheese of the rat race.
    \"I\'m a lonely soldier, at war... Sent away to die... never quite knowing why.... Sometimes it makes no sense at all....\"

Well that is a good point to keep in mind.

Knowing multiple operating systems is a good way to approach.