a must read for newbies and pro's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a must read for newbies and pro's

a must read for newbies and pro's

hi,

i came across a pdf-file/book which i believe is a must read for everyone who want to program seriously.

it's not just about the languages itself, but it also talks about how the computer/processor works and how a program interacts with other programs and the OS.

it is not specific to one language, but assembly is the language most talked about...

it contains 326 pages of info, and although i'm just on the 10th page while i type this, i'm sure this is something really interesting

this is the pdf file

p.s, i've put this in the programming section, because it's subject is programming

Nice!

Banned
    This book teaches assembly language for x86 processors and the GNU/Linux
    operating system.
    Skimming through the book and reading a blurb here and there, the book IS about assembly and it is based totally on compiling through the Linux kernel. The book starts out and goes through describing the basics of how a kernel, window manager, and application work in sync and then it goes on and introduces assembly and teaches the fundamentals such as variables and basic syntax and eventually leads into how to code your very first program using the lanaguage...

So if you want assembly, read away.

Skimming through the book and reading a blurb here and there, the book IS about assembly and it is based totally on compiling through the Linux kernel. The book starts out and goes through describing the basics of how a kernel, window manager, and application work in sync and then it goes on and introduces assembly and teaches the fundamentals such as variables and basic syntax and eventually leads into how to code your very first program using the lanaguage...
    yes and no, it uses linux to show things and uses assembly to teach you the things, but it still is very useful for every progammer, and a real programmer masters multiple programming languages, and for him, the language is just the tool, like a compiler, to create a program, but eventually programming comes back to one basic thing, and that goes for all languages, and THATS what this book is about, not just assembly, although it uses assembly and linux and the way to show you

hey

thanks for the book

i like such things
    One Man\'s Villain, is another man\'s HERO

Thanks for the link to it!

Strange, I couldn't get firefox to properly open it, but worked just fine in IE... go figure!

~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

Strange, I couldn't get firefox to properly open it, but worked just fine in IE... go figure!
    well, i got it to open with firefox, but when i wanted to turn my system in hybernation (with the file still open on firefox) i got a BSOD!

also gmail can't be opened using firefox... so that's a whole other story, perhaps stuff for a complete new thread?

Antionline Herpetologist
    Nice book! Thanks. Definitely worth a read.

also gmail can't be opened using firefox... so that's a whole other story, perhaps stuff for a complete new thread?
    Yes, it can. I'm checking my mail using Firefox 1.0PR in another window as we speak. Try clearing your cookies.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Banned
    Got it, but it will take me forever to read. HA

Yes, it can. I'm checking my mail using Firefox 1.0PR in another window as we speak. Try clearing your cookies.
    doesn't work, but perhaps i need an update, im using 9.3 if i'm not mistaken