Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P4 3.0GHZ reading as 2.0GHZ +Other problems

P4 3.0GHZ reading as 2.0GHZ +Other problems

HEY HEY.

Ok here's the deal: After slowly buying all the parts for a new PC, I finally put them together. I am using a Shuttle AV41P Motherboard, a P4 3.0GHZ processor, 120Gig new HDD, 20GB old HDD with XP in it, 128mb Gforce4 graphic card, and an X-Infinity silver case.

After putting everything together, I'm having some major issues. The most important Issue that I'm seeing is the fact that it reads the processor as 2.0GHZ, instead of 3.0. I can go into the bios, and when I go to the Processor PnP settings, it says that its Ratio is locked so it wont let me change anything. I can't find anything else on the other settings relating to the Processor. When I rebooted it for the first though, It gave an error message saying "CMOS SETTINGS CONFIGURED WRONG" or something similiar to that.

Second Issue: The Primary Master HDD has Windows XP installed in it. The Slave is just a blank HDD. For some reason, the PC reboots normally but after it does all its Bios Checks, it doesn't go anywhere past that. It just stays at a black screen with a white dash on its upper left corner. I went on and Installed RH9 on the 120GB HDD, and it boots into that. Haven't had much time to play around in RH (i dont know linux).

Whats the deal? Do I have to reformat the 20GB HDD and reinstall windows? IF I have to do that, I'd rather just take the 20 GB one out, and leave the 120GB in there. What should I do? I didn't install a floppy drive in it, but If I need to, I have a few available. Do I have to flash the Bios?

Another Issue that I'm having is the fact that I cannot find where to plug 2 of the cables in the case. Those are the cables that control the headlights, and the Temperature Display. Anyone has any experience with the X-Infinity case?

Thanks for your help everyone.

I had the same problem when i got my laptop and i ended up flashing the bios and then it unlocked AND started displaying the speed correctly. as far as booting goes, your bios is checking the harddrives and is not sure which one to boot off of. you should install lilo as the boot manager on the first drive and then tell it to go to "x" OS as the default. furthermore, if there is a boot manager on your secondary hdd you should get rid of it because once it is on the primary, it will no longer be necessary AND the bios might get confused (like it is now)
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Thanks for your reply dj, I was thinking of Flashing the BIOS, so I have to install the Floppy drive when I get home. Also, I installed RH9 so right now its using its own boot manager. where do I get lilo and how do I install it? Right now the RH9 boot manager just shows me the RH partitions and DOS...but when I try to go to dos, nothing happens...just the black screen with white dash flashing on the corner.

Hi,

What is the value of the fixed ratio? can you change the clock/bus speed.............that would be a value like 100/200 or 133/266?

Try reformatting the 20Gb drive, go into BIOS setup and tell it to autodetect. Make sure that the jumpers are set right and that the 120 os at the end of the cable and the 20 in the middle. If that doesn't work try setting them both to "cable select"

You should be able to solve the wiring problem from the MoBo instructions. Otherwise get a magnifying glass and check out any pins that are not being used, they frequently have a clue (in VERY small print) stencilled on the board next to them

Let us know how you get on.

Nihil I think its set @ 133.

I don't want to reformat the 20GB because I have 15gigs of stuff in there which I need . I was hopping It would read it automatically. It already has an OS in it, so I don't see why not. The 20GB is set as master, 120gb is slave. I'm just going to get a flashlight for the wiring and surf around.

Thank you for your reply

There should be two values, one which is the speed and the other is the multiplier. It works something like 133/15 which would be 133 X 15 =1995 (2Ghz)

By "ratio" I think that they are referring to the "multiplier" so you would be looking to change the "speed" to 200 x 15 = 3GHz

I take it that both drives are set up correctly in the BIOS and the system can "see" them properly, with the correct sizes?

Sorry, my misunderstanding, the 20Gb drive is the master (C:\) will it boot into safe mode?

How did you install the 120Gb drive, did you use the drive manufacturer's software?

Cheers

I cannot boot into them at all. Well for now I'm booing inside RH which is on the 120GB one. The 120GB was already installed in the older computer with the 20GB in the same way I put it in the new box. Yes I used the manufacturer's software when I first installed it. Bios can see both of them set up properly, and with the correct sizes. I'm going to update the BIOS first, to see if it unlocks the options in the BIOS so that I can change the speed. I'll let you know how it goes. Unfortunately I do not get home for another 2 hours .

Cheers.

this article:
    http://www.computing.net/howto/advanced/linuxnt/
    should tell you how to setup a dual boot system
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Well I think that the first step is to get the BIOS recognising the kit properly.

You may still have problems as XP is very sensitive about changes in hardware environment, so you could be forced to reinstall and re-register.

Maybe you could put the drives back into the old box and save your stuff onto the larger drive?

Cheers

Maybe you could put the drives back into the old box and save your stuff onto the larger drive?

Cheers
    I'm thinking of leaving the 20GB in the older PC, and reformating the 120GB one for the new pc.