Thread: Spybot's TeaTimer has huge memory leak?

Spybot's TeaTimer has huge memory leak?

Hey Hey,

My desktop last night started running rather sluggishly, so I decided to check in Task Manager... Low and behold... TeaTimer.. which normally uses between 4 and 10MB of RAM was using 132MB of RAM..... I ended up killing the process... but only after watching it eat up more and more RAM.... I thought this was a single, random incident....

Then... this afternoon while booting my laptop at work I noticed it running ridiculously slow... unable to find a reason I, again, entered task manager... TeaTimer was using 266MB fo RAM... and, as before, was counting up rather speedily.

I've done some searching on google and found a few comments about TeaTimer having a bad memory leak... and I've also see rumors that it's been fixed... I've got the latest updates for Spybot and I've been using 1.3 without problem until last night/today... as anyone seen related issues?

Peace,
    HT

Related Links:

http://www.computing.net/security/ww...rum/13547.html <-- mention of the memory leak
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1009876979/1 <-- Related to Outpost and TeaTimer.. Interesting because I run Outpost on my laptop... but not on my desktop

What AV product are you using?................I have heard of issues with Norton for one.

I am running Teatimer under WinXP Pro and WinME and have not noticed any problems, it sounds like it is clashing with something else? Have you installed anything new or updated your firewall/AV product recently?

Cheers

Hey Hey,

Had it stayed Machine independant I would have agreed but there's too many differences.. for it to have just started anyways.. no major changes

Desktop
    XP Pro
    All Updates From Windows Updates
    Service Pack 2
    AVG Free
    No Software Fire... Behind Hardware Firewall

Laptop
    XP Pro
    All Updates From Windows Updates with the exception of SP2
    All Updates from the AutoPatcherXP August 04 disk (was demoing it so I installed everything)
    AVG Free
    Agnitum Outpost Software Firewall

AVG Free has been running on both machines for longer than tea timer and this is the first time I've had the conflict.

Peace,
    HT

Well, I don't think it's AVG as I have that on both machines.

I haven't applied SP2 on my machine, but you are getting the same problem on a similar machine so I don't think it is that.

Does the problem happen as soon as you boot or after you have beeen running for a while?

When you shut down the process do you see anything unusual with any other processes for a few moments?

What background processes are you running?

Have you got anything on autoschedule/autoupdate?

Cheers

Hey Hey,

The laptop has had an autoupdate icon sitting at 0% that's been there for a week.. but again it's isolized to just the laptop...

The laptop was on boot.. the desktop was after it had been running for at least 2 weeks.. possibly longer... that's why it's so strange.. there's no common variable that I can find...

Nothing odd when I killed the process... after a second it disappeared from my system tray and everything went back to normal.

Peace,
    HT

OK,

Let's try the desktop first?

Disable all power management and saving settings, and the screensaver (if you have one)

With the laptop you might try uninstalling and re-installing SpyBot to see if putting it somewhere else in the boot cycle makes a difference. Also disable the autoupdate. The main reason for those comments is that the laptop problem is on bootup.

Are these problems happening all the time, or are they intermittent?

You have spotted the large memory usage, what sort of CPU% is it taking............is it actually doing anything other than hogging RAM?

Cheers

Hey Hey,

The laptop issue was here at work.... so I haven't played at all.. I just haven't restarted TeaTimer yet... I also haven't started it again on the desktop at home.... I'll have to play with them tonight and see if I can get the leak to occur again and if they hog CPU cycles while they're at it.

Peace.
    HT

OK,

In the meantime:

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/

Get RegistryProt, it basically does the same thing as TeaTimer, and I have never seen it conflict with anything, INCLUDING TeaTimer

Then: http://www.tweaknow.com

Ram Idle LE (free for private use)
    Ram Idle Pro ($14)

These are memory (RAM) managers/defragmenters that may help with analysing the problem as you can set a threshold at which they will attempt to free up RAM, I have used that as an early warning system to analyse memory leaks in the past.

Cheers