Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JPEG Vulnerability after patch!

Arrow I Can See Your Point STeRoiD ...

Originally posted by STeRoiD
    First, although I think its valid, I removed the public exploit link because of the discussion.
    I'd have left it. I can't see a problem with it, after all it's public.

Ok, SP2 improves your security. Actually I didnt install it because all of the problems I heared about the product, but now maybe I will install it... but thats not the point : Does anyone who have XP SP1 MUST to install SP2? I mean, isnt microsoft supposed to support the SP1 community either (which means, amongst other things, suply a *working* patch for it)?
    Myabe it has to do with the article "Microsoft: To secure IE, upgrade to XP"
    http://news.com.com/Microsoft+To+sec...3-5378366.html

But seriously, I dont see any reason why XP SP1 will still be vulnerable.
    Given that SP2 implements fixes at kernel level, etc, I consider it essential! Yes, some people have had problems, but if the proper precautions are taken (backups anyone) then they're not insurmountable. Install SP2

If XP SP1 is not vulnerable, why did Microsoft release SP2? Can you see why XP SP1 is vulnerable now?

Microsoft Support a fully patched XP. First thing they will recommend is get to the latest patch level. The patch for SP1 is SP2! lol
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

BANNED
    I tryed to post before I left the house this afternoon but my cable went out. So here's what I had to say now.
    It's not a matter of supporting SP1 or SP2 community. SP2 is the next batch of patches. It's not like upgrading from windows98 to windowsxp.

And I'm sorry for calling you a numbskull.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Arrow i am with steroid

Ok, SP2 improves your security. Actually I didnt install it because all of the problems I heared about the product, but now maybe I will install it... but thats not the point : Does anyone who have XP SP1 MUST to install SP2? I mean, isnt microsoft supposed to support the SP1 community either (which means, amongst other things, suply a *working* patch for it)?
    i am with steroid , many people who i talk to do not want to move to sp 2 as they have had many problems with sp 2 , even though they have a "hot copy" ( as cgkanchi said doesn't matter) they have a feeling sp 2 slows down their computer , and more over as steroid said , this is not the soution to the problem is it ,m$ id suposed to support the Sp 1 Community.

BANNED
    It's not an SP1 or 2 community it's a new update....
    They put a lot of time and money into this update so why should they just waste more time making updates for people who are just making assumptions about something they don't know about???

Maybe they should just rename the update SP1-a so it will make you feel a little better...
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Hey Hey,

Being fully up-to-date has nothing to do with ServicePack2... Updates are released and installed independantly (if you so prefer)... and it most definately has nothing to do with the GDI+ vulnerability.

As for not installing SP2 (off topic... but oh well) there are plent of reasons to not install it...

1. Most Companies (with full IT Support) aren't rolling it out yet... so why would a home user want to experiment with it and jeopardize system stability if it isn't a test system. Many ISS/TSS divisions will tell you straight up not to install it.
    2. There have been cases where Network Printing Functionality was lost.
    3. There have been cases where Wireless Problems have resulted.
    4. VS .Net and SP2 Don't completely like eachother... So much so that students have had to do full system reinstalls to get VS.Net functioning again..
    5. 75%+ of Experienced Users (which I'd like to think encompasses most of AO) will turn of the XP firewall in favour of some third party app or hardware firewall.... This is their primary Security feature... and if it's turned off then how security related is the release really.
    6. Several addition services are started... these are relatively new and could end up hurting the user more than their previous setup did.
    7. Various Dell Laptops have had reported problems (I believe it was TH13 that raised this issue)
    8. Various 64-bit AMD processors have reported problems...
    9. MS Has already released one "patch/rollup" to SP2.... While this isn't there worst release ever... it's prolly pretty close to it when you talk about affecting home users.... and why not wait until it's a little more stable before installing it?
    10. (Personal Preferance here) That damn Security Centre Service is annoying as all hell and quite useless...

Anyways as far as the GDI+ exploit... I'm sure this has already been mentioend but I'll reiterate because of the importance.... Windows Updates (and the MS Patch) only Patches your OS... It has nothing to do with third party apps (MS Apps included)... visit the Office update site to update your office and the manufacturers of other various affected software that you have to update them....

Peace,
    HT