Thread: encrypting sam

encrypting sam

ok, just a question, if i were to encrypt my windows sam file (the one that holds the password info) with pgp, would i be able to log into my machine? or would that just screw everything up.

thanks,
    -=[the]Punisher=-
    \"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.\" - V

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Possibly screw things up since Windows wouldn't be aware of how to open it (unless there is an app that helps with that). Why not use the application that MS provides for this purpose: Syskey?

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article on Syskey and usage
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Also, under normal circumstances you won't be able to access the SAM to encrypt it.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Possibly screw things up since Windows wouldn't be aware of how to open it (unless there is an app that helps with that). Why not use the application that MS provides for this purpose: Syskey?

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article on Syskey and usage
    Syskey won't help if the peron trying to crack it uses the tool SamInside to pull the key out of the SYSTEM file. Then again, there is an option to store the syskey on a floppy that you have to use everytime you boot, but that can be a pain in the ass and you better make backups of the floppy.

Just Another Geek
    As TS already pointed out you cannot access the SAM (the actual file) if the system is running. If you use another OS to access it and encrypt it or change it in any way I'm pretty sure your system won't even boot properly. I'll bet you even get to see the infamous BSOD.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.