Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Win Xp Shines!!!

One thing nobody mentioned/questioned: what kind of flaws were the OSes tested for, and what installation was made of Linux? Not distribution wise, I mean number of applications... Fedora Core, for example, comes on 3 CDs. Everybody that can open their mouth and say they know Linux realizes that the OS itself doesn't take that much space; if it was a bootstrapped text-based Gentoo distribution, updated, then I'd like to see some results aswell. Install minimum Windows and minimum Linux and test then.

I already mentioned what kind of flaws, and by that I mean remote, local, privilege escalation, everything... what kind of a vuln it was etc. So I'm still sketchy about many things.

I get free MS licenced software through my University. Well, OSes and .NET, but I don't know to what degree I will be using them... want to test the Server for now, will see what else later. So for the next five years my choices can be entirely based on what I like more since both Linux and Windows cost me the same [two or three blank CDs ]

But anyway, the original thread poster has some gaps to fill I feel.
    /\\

I would put money on it that MS somehow "sponsered" the survey. Also, what about this JPEG virus, has MS fixed that?

BANNED
    SP2 is not vulnerable to the jpeg exploit as far as I know.

Edit: Someone sent me a PM that SP2 was vulnerable to the jpeg exploit so I'll post a few articles and if you want to hunt down the source to the exploit it says SP2 isn't vulnerable.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/36629.html
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/bu...0409_jpeg.mspx

And I don't feel like hunting the article SDK posted but it says it there too. The source is in that thread if you want to hunt it down.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...