Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: web mail

web mail

hello

webmail is the best for security and privacy, right?

im here to ask you what to use! i always used http://www.email.pt but im sure there are some special webmail sites with new options or things that others don't have, does anyone know?

i hate microsoft (of course) but there is something that i think i must give up... not using msn messenger! thats it... everyone has it, my friends, etc. I KNOW that i don't need to use the bad microsoft software from http://www.msn.com or whatever, i will use amsn (for linux and windows). now i have a question... you can log-in with a .net password, you don't need a hotmail account!!! (most people don't know) just go to http://www.passport.com

so my real question is, what webmail to chose?
    hotmail?

1- i think it's the only one that the msn messenger (i mean, amsn, etc) can count the emails and display if there are new ones.
    2- it works with the messenger! lots of things that you can do if you use both!
    3- i think it is the most used around the whole world.

but...
    does it work well in linux, i mean, with mozilla firefox?

what i really wanted was privacy... maybe i should use something from a [PUT_BAD_WORDS_HERE] country, for example use a webmail from russia? japan? or whatever, hehe this sounds a bit stupid. but for example if the three letters agencies want to investigate and access your email, whats the best to avoid that?

thats all, i really don't know if i should sign up with hotmail, i think that i need a .net passport to use the messenger and as i said it i don't know how it works if you register without a hotmail account, for example what happens when you click the "new emails" button hehe, or "go to inbox"

thanks for your time!
    thing

I don't consider any public webmail as private.

If you want to maximize your privacy, you should consider running your own mail server.

Remember that even tho you may read your webmail via https, its still sent and delivered in
    clear text in most cases.
    Your email has probably been viewed by many more people than you think.

Running your own server can help minimize the eyes on your mail.
    There are many free mail servers and costs would be minimal.

Is messenger integration an absolute requirement?

What about yahoo/yahoo messenger since you say you hate Microsoft..??

thanks fo your replay.

i didn't want to think about those other options like my own server hehe, i know it's better and its a good replay to what i asked but... lets try to keep things simple, use a web mail.

i know there isn't much privacy, i will use a proxy and maybe encrypt my emails and send them as files, but thats something that for now i don't want to discuss.

well, as i said, i hate microsoft but almost all my friends are using he messenger! thats why i need the msn one, no the yahoo.

"absolute requirement" well... i think its great to have things to work together, and, hotmail with msn messenger works great! as i said, i need to know how the passport and the messenger works if you register with another email.
    i got two ideas:

1- everyone uses hotmail! so its very hard to keep track and view private information of one single user.
    2- hotmail.com is from microsoft and they keep their records very clear so that the local polico, fbi or whatever you want to call can view your emails and access your account.

please replay to my original message, thanks!

Hotmail works fine with Molilla in Linux.

There is no native MSN Messenger for Linux.

Just knockoffs like the one you mentioned.

Your passport account will mean nothing to non hotmail webmail accounts.
    None that I know of anyway.

If you must use MSN Messenger to keep up with your friends, well then use MSN Messenger. But if you don't wish to use hotmail or yahoo, then you could try googles gmail and by using Mozilla Firefox, gmail, and the gmail notifier ( a Firefox extension), it will notify you when you have new mail.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

gmail... isn't what only for people who have been invited? what about other web mails
    is there any other special?
    what about the using one from another country? is it safer, more privacy?
    i didn't get any replay to my main questions heh

thanks!
    thing

Originally posted here by thing0
    gmail... isn't what only for people who have been invited? what about other web mails
    is there any other special?
    what about the using one from another country? is it safer, more privacy?
    i didn't get any replay to my main questions heh

thanks!
    You had several questions.

Webmail from another country?
    safer? no
    more privacy? no

Why would you think it would be more safe and/or private?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Thingo:

Security of anything begins with what it is you are trying to protect. The more valuable the thing you are trying to protect the more resources you expend to protect it and the smaller you make that ring of trust.

If you are trying to hide the fact you have a girlfriend from your wife then it's probably going to be easier than if you are a terrorist trying to evade the Feds while you plan your next mission.

Since it's difficult to determine what it is you are trying to protect and why from your messages you will find that you will get a lot of answers that don't fit your parameters. Would you care to be a little more specific with the details of what and why and I'm sure you will find an appropriate answer.

[Edit]

Why do I get the horrible feeling you are up to no good?

[/Edit]
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

because the local police would have to talk and do things with another country to see my emails or access my account, sometimes they just can't mess with things that are hosted in another place.
    thing

Well don't be too naive.
    Given the proper motivation, even your local police are happy to involve not so local friends
    to pursue one worth hunting down...even his email.

Maybe kimjongllfreeemail.com