Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confused about Antipoints - Part II

Egaladeist

We didn’t seek you out. Rather, you chose to create an account here. Thus making that choice you agreed to the conditions already set forth. If you don’t like the forum, simply ask the moderators to ban your account, depart, and find one that is more suited for you.
    I haven't assigned any points to anyone…
    Don’t worry about APs. Yours aren’t worth anything anyway.

chances are I've already pissed off someone who's read my posts because I like to speak my mind
    Providing factual information relative to the topic or inquiry of a thread can be of value to all. However, is an unfounded opinion worth more than butt nuggets?

If you understand what AO is and is not, you can expect to be helped and to help others learn the art of computer/network security…
    Connection refused, try again later.

Hi, Relyt ! You're absolutely right I did agree to the terms of this forum but I don't think there was any mention in the terms set forth on registration that my opinions should be submissive to the higher authority, only that they should be expressed in an appropriate way. I respect your opinion that if I don't like it I should leave...you have a right to that opinion whether I agree with it or not. There are 6 billion opinions in this world and I don't expect them all to agree with me.
    And I don't think I said anything negative about anyone here by expressing my opinion about the point system. If there's a thread asking what food you like best and you like McDonalds and I say "yuck, McDonalds...I prefer Wendy's" are you going to be offended by that ? A difference in opinion is not a personal attack...I am not an insecure person so I am not personally offended by your remarks to me because you were just stating your opinion. But I realize that some people get offended easily...I deal with people for a living and sometimes you have to tread softly around them because you know they will take this or that the wrong way.
    And I think my comments were very relevant to the topic...I read many posts and I could see that I'm not the only person here that has a problem with this system.
    I am sure that most of the people here including yourself are mature and secure enough to handle an opposing opinion without feeling it's a personal attack upon themselves.

Personally, I love the AP system. It allows the people who post to "self-police" the forums, and also shows the more respected people on the forums (see the people with the custom titles and massive greenie AP bars?) and who to ignore or watch out for (see the close-to-being-banned list, and people with little red bars?). It can't really be abused (much) due to the "checks and balances" system they have implemented that forces you to spread your APs around.

I'm sure your opinions (if well thought, insightful, and/or intelligent) will be taken well, I've never been personally offended by anyone stating their opinion.

When someone tries to cram their opinion down someone elses throat is usually when I see people get defensive. Just don't think about the AP system if you don't care about it, and as long as you act intelligently and not obnoxiously (well, a little obnoxious is okay.. just on't go overboard with it ) then you won't have to worry about it having any negative effect on you.

Laters ~
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=745
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=746
    -- Be a part of the team! Join Protochaderin and help us build the game you want to play! --
    - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/devlogo2.gif -

Oh!...foxyloxley, hi !

I live with, as I'm sure you do, alot of things I don't agree with.

And moxnix...hi !

You're probably right if I waited for six or seven mths before stating my opinion it probably would have passed by without a thought...but patience is not one of my virtues, unfortunately.
    And I'm not trying to change anything, I did read the threads and I can see improvements are being made all the time and if the forum is happy with this system I have no problem with that...I just think you're trying to work with a system that is flawed beyond redemption.
    And I don't think anyone cares about my opinion...hell, most of the time I don't even care about my opinion and most of my friends don't care about my opinion...even my kids don't care about my opinion and for the most part that's the way I like it...when I make an opinion it's not all tight ass serious even though it probably comes across that way in a forum context with people who don't know me !

I'm sure your opinions (if well thought, insightful, and/or intelligent) will be taken well, I've never been personally offended by anyone stating their opinion.

When someone tries to cram their opinion down someone elses throat is usually when I see people get defensive. Just don't think about the AP system if you don't care about it, and as long as you act intelligently and not obnoxiously (well, a little obnoxious is okay.. just on't go overboard with it ) then you won't have to worry about it having any negative effect on you.

Laters ~ [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks!!!

Personally I find that the AntiPoint System ...

works rather well, in the form it is impemented on this site!

When you have been around a while and experienced how it works, I'm sure you'll find it to be acceptable too!

Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect (then again what is?) it can be abused, however, it does work reasonably well.

If you feel an improvement can be made then add a post describing your thoughts to the Site Suggestions forum. I'm sure it will be considered if it is constructive.

BTW Welcome to AntiOnline! If your interested in security matters then this is a good site for you. There is a wealth of information here. I also find the majority of members to be extremly knowledgable and very helpful. Just don't ask stupid questions! lol

May I suggest you invest some time reading the various FAQ's and Stickies? It would also be a good idea to "Lurk," for a while, so you get a feel for the site. I did this and I feel it has been worthwhile! Just my suggestions of course, you don't need to abide by them!

Don't worry too much about AntiPoints, it's really not worth it! The important thing is the information you gleen from / provide to the AntiOnline community. Isn't that what communities are all about?

As has already been expressed by other members, I don't think any member (other than the few very obnoxious ones) will "Hammer," you for expressing an opinion here. Just make sure you stick within the guidelines (most of the time) and don't get personal!

Have fun.
    Regards.
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

Ya know, so many people have complained about this over the past couple of years, increasingly so, and I have yet to see the problem. I hear about it all the time, but I'm around a lot and have yet to see much of a negative side affect. 95% of the folks around here with large green bars (hmm...I sadly confess being in the other 5% bracket ) are highly knowledgable. They might goof off more than anything else around here nowadays, but they're still highly knowledgable, especially when you ask them something.

Most idiots that are outlandish enough get banned before a mod can even get to them. I think that's efficient. I've never seen anyone auto-banned that didn't ask for it. It takes a lot of negs to get banned.

A lo t of ppl wit few grn dots tlk lke ths and arent as serous as u or i

The AP system has worked well for me, and I have no complaints. Most of the time AP accumlations are very representative of how valuable the member is. Not always, but most of the time.

But ya know, some people are just WAY too picky.